1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Question on Rudy Project Sunglasses

Hi,

I recently stumbled across rudy project sunglasses in a thread .

I am looking for sunglasses for daytime ,evening and night rides.
    I live in India and its quite sunny and also get good amount of rain

I looked at rudyproject website and came across their impactx photochromic clear and impactx photochromic laser clear lens.

a) what is the difference between the impactx photochromic clear and impactx photochromic laser clear lens?

b) Is impactx scratch proof on both the front side and rear side ?

c) raydon seems like a good glasses for cycling from reviews.
    which are other cycling sunglasses?
    which model do you recommend?

d) I noticed sunglasses for smaller and larger faces.
    How do I know which version to select?

I do not have access to store where I can try the glasses on.
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    I can't help with all your questions but I have been looking for a pair of sunglasses for years. Never could pull the trigger as my face just doesn't fit them to my liking. I rolled the dice and bought a pair of Rydon flex with the dark lenses last week. They fit better and are better construction then any others I have tried. RP has a 90 day return policy. I would recommend to give them a try. Sorry for not answering any of your questions. I like mine.... ALOT.
    Yea that's right, it's a bucket o' shrimp!

mtbr member

I can't really give the answers to the granular parts of the questions. But I have 2 pairs of the photochromatic Rudy Projects and love them!! I've used them for MTB and road riding, day and night. I baby my glasses so I'm not sure about their durability because both sets are at least 2-3 years old.

mtbr member
    They look awesome but I can't bring myself to spend $100-125 on a pair of sunglasses. I'd love to try a pair though. I wear Oakley on the bike and they are good enough. I've had mine for a while and the lenses are a little beat up but I can get new glasses for around $80 and new lenses for around $35 so it's not as much of a burden on the wallet. RP does have a 3 year warranty though even on scratched lenses so that by itself might be worth the extra coin. If I ever try them I'll probably get the Photochromic Clear Lenses. I find that sometimes in the evening or shaded woods my Oakleys are a little too dark but I fear riding without them. I've taken a stick to the eye before in the woods and I'd only imagine a bug in the eye while on the road riding 20-45mph would be less than a fun experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

My little friends
    Since I am a cheapskate, I always have used Remington yellow lens shooting glasses. The trails where I ride are heavily forested, so there is not much need for a dark lens. The yellow lens also brings out more detail as it blocks some of the blue light. Also, they offer great coverage and protection since they are made for shooting, for when those 30 cal black flies come at you! As another plus, they cost around $10, so when, (not if), they do get lost, scratched or stepped on, no big deal!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Since I am a cheapskate, I always have used Remington yellow lens shooting glasses. The trails where I ride are heavily forested, so there is not much need for a dark lens. The yellow lens also brings out more detail as it blocks some of the blue light. Also, they offer great coverage and protection since they are made for shooting, for when those 30 cal black flies come at you! As another plus, they cost around $10, so when, (not if), they do get lost, scratched or stepped on, no big deal!
    this. when it comes down to it, yellow or other color safety glasses from the hardware store do everything you need mtb glasses to do, except a) style points (who you trying to impress anyway and b) lighten the wallet. like, 8 bucks and boom, eyewear

for photochromic they cost more...I got a 40 dollar pair of Tifosi that work great

mtbr member
    I use the Winchester instead of Remmies. I wear them at night because we have no trees on the plains except scrub juniper and mesquite. During the day I wear smoke lens 3M safety glasses from the Home Depot. About 5-6 bucks a pair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    this. when it comes down to it, yellow or other color safety glasses from the hardware store do everything you need mtb glasses to do, except a) style points (who you trying to impress anyway and b) lighten the wallet. like, 8 bucks and boom, eyewear

for photochromic they cost more...I got a 40 dollar pair of Tifosi that work great
    In my case at least...I wear sunglasses all the time so it pays to buy something of decent quality at least. Not that safety glasses aren't perfectly fine on the trail...I have some clear ones I'll wear on occasion in fact. But since I wear the same glasses driving, walking, hiking, biking...I want something with good optical quality which the Oakleys provide. Especially the pair I have that are polarized. But again, $100+ is a bit steep and at that price you're paying more for name and fashion. I don't worry much about destroying my glasses. My Oakleys have been through lots of miles and more than a few crashes and have been fine. Not that they are tough...just lucky I guess.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks for all the replies. Any idea on how the rydon flex is different from rydon ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
    thanks for all the replies. Any idea on how the rydon flex is different from rydon ?
    sorry for derailing the thread with non-Rudy advice.

The difference is 12 letters more in the giant bag of marketing bu**sh*t adjectives. The word FLEX is added thrice to the big bag of absolutely meaningless words.

Rudy Project Rydon Flex

Rudy Project has unified seamless advanced design technology and materials science to pruduce the Rydon FLEX blending cutting edge ergonomic features with advanced materials (carbon, aluminum, magnesium, silcium and titanium) to create a super lightweight, versatile, high performance sunglass. Rydon FLEX has been uniquely engineered with a carbonium frame and revolutionary aerospatial aluminum allow (Kynetium) FLEX temples which combine magnesium, silcium and titanium to create an unbelievably lightweight, durable and flexible sport sunglass.

Rudy Project Rydon

Rudy Project has unified seamless advanced design technology and materials science to pruduce the Rydon blending cutting edge ergonomic features with advanced materials (carbon, aluminum, magnesium, silcium and titanium) to create a super lightweight, versatile, high performance sunglass. Rydon has been uniquely engineered with a carbonium frame and revolutionary aerospatial aluminum allow (Kynetium) temples which combine magnesium, silcium and titanium to create an unbelievably lightweight, durable and flexible sport sunglass.

------------------

Makes me want to punch a marketing director square in the throat

------------------
    The difference is the FLEX allows the temples to spread out wider for big faces.

Otherwise, they each have a thousand BS terms to describe a plastic and metal sunglass that is no better than Home Depot safety glasses to be quite honest.
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-07-2014 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    I'll take a few pictures tonight. I have a pretty normal head and I think that the flex just give me wiggle room to put the glasses on with my helmet. There has to be consideration on how effective uv protection is on the cheaper lenses. Then again I didn't buy mine for low light.
    Yea that's right, it's a bucket o' shrimp!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Otherwise, they each have a thousand BS terms to describe a plastic and metal sunglass that is no better than Home Depot safety glasses to be quite honest.
    I'd bet a paycheck that a pair of Home Depot safety glasses won't have the same quality of optical clarity as a good pair of sunglasses though. How do I know? Because I have several pairs of safety glasses I wear around the house and on the range and none of them come even close to my Oakley sunglasses. Otherwise, build quality...yeah. A decent pair of $10 safety glasses probably are as good or even better than most $75+ sunglasses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I usually just run cheap safety glasses too; I lose/trash glasses left and right, so the cheaper the better for me.
    I have found that the Tifosi stuff is decent and priced pretty well too.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks all. Btw, I saw some deals on rudy project north america site. Perhaps it may be of use. There was also 25% off on some glasses when subscribed to their email list. Offers valid online only and non international cards

mtbr member
    Nubster
    I think I have to agree wit you on that one. Been wearing the HD safety`s forever.
    Best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Re: Question on Rudy Project Sunglasses

I have both photochromic clear and laser clear. Laser has mirror coat and the coat makes a bit darker. Even brightest side, the coat also makes harder to see your eyea from others.

I hav used clear lenz 6 years and still transition is fine but lenz colored a bit yellow at clear.
    Black has lazer clear.

mtbr member
    I definitely want photochromatic lenses on my next pair of glasses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Re: Question on Rudy Project Sunglasses

And 1min exposed clear and laser clear on sunny day. Seems like 6 years old clear photochromic is faster being unexposed. Became clearer in a few second to remove foils.

mtbr member

I've had the Rydons for about 7 years now and have used them for biking, running, water sports, and shooting. As the lenses, nose piece, ear piece have gotten worn, they are all cheaply replaced so every few years it's like a new set of sunglasses, but with optically superior lenses. The lenses have a lifetime replacement policy for $25 - I've replaced scratched lenses twice now. So in the long run, it's been well worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i had a pair for years...until i left them on the train into work one day...sad panda as they rocked.