Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

question reguarding raceface bash guard. probably a dumb question but hopefully not

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BigSteve in CO 
#1 ·
:confused: Alright so i have been riding for about 2 months now. pretty new to the sport. one of my first purchases was a raceface bash guard. i took off the stupid 3rd ring that i never used and put the guard on. i noticed that the guard protects the sprocket pretty well...however, it doesnt protect the chain. the chain sticks out about 5mm more than the bash guard therefore leaving it vulnerable to getting beat on by rocks that i fail to clear. my bike shop was the one that recommended it and installed it and they assured me it was fine but i notice that most peoples bash guards protect their chain so i need some reassurance before i drop a few bucks and replace it.

#2 ·
The bash guard should indeed cover/protect the chain as well.

What is the size of the biggest ring you have left on your crankset?

Raceface currently makes 3 different sizes of bash guards - 32T, 36T and 40T - meaning it will protect a ring/chain up to and including that size. I am wondering if you have a 34(or even a 36) tooth chainring, but they installed the bashguard for a 32?

#6 ·
BCD stands for Bolt Circle Diameter. Here is some information on measuring

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Bo--Bz

If the bike shop doesn't want to order you the correct size bashguard or you take matters into your own hands, check out BBG bashguards.

BBG Bashguards

My chain rings were 22t/32t/42t (the same as your Giant) so I picked up a 104 BCD 34t drilled bashguard (one size bigger than my second ring) to protect it. 18$ shipped and about 5 minutes on the install

Can you post a picture of the bashguard they installed?

#7 ·
This reminds me of the time I walked into Poison Spider in Moab and asked for a bash to replace my 3rd ring, and the guy told me they didn't exist. Pretty shameful for a guy at any shop to say that instead of admitting that he doesn't know, let alone a well-known one. I argued for a while and left.

Of course, the next day I went over backwards on Slickrock and tore up my forearm with my chainring. FWIW, I've been using the Race Face bash since then, and it's awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.