1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. question reguarding raceface bash guard. probably a dumb question but hopefully not

Alright so i have been riding for about 2 months now. pretty new to the sport. one of my first purchases was a raceface bash guard. i took off the stupid 3rd ring that i never used and put the guard on. i noticed that the guard protects the sprocket pretty well...however, it doesnt protect the chain. the chain sticks out about 5mm more than the bash guard therefore leaving it vulnerable to getting beat on by rocks that i fail to clear. my bike shop was the one that recommended it and installed it and they assured me it was fine but i notice that most peoples bash guards protect their chain so i need some reassurance before i drop a few bucks and replace it.

mtbr member
    The bash guard should indeed cover/protect the chain as well.

What is the size of the biggest ring you have left on your crankset?

Raceface currently makes 3 different sizes of bash guards - 32T, 36T and 40T - meaning it will protect a ring/chain up to and including that size. I am wondering if you have a 34(or even a 36) tooth chainring, but they installed the bashguard for a 32?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    That shop sucks. I would ask them to get the right bash, then find another shop.

Striking the chain on a rock can break it, weaken it, bend it so it damages the derailleur/cassette, etc. That is crummy to tell you it's fine, just to cover up their mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Resident Gear Head
    Yep, wrong size bash guard, sounds like it is too small
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    alright. time for the awkward confrontation. guess ill order it myself. any of you guys know what bcd means? i need a bashguard for a giant talon 27.5 5. its a 34t but i am unsure if thats the only thing i need to know because im seeing bashguards that say 34t 104bcd

Resident Gear Head
    BCD stands for Bolt Circle Diameter. Here is some information on measuring

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Bo--Bz

If the bike shop doesn't want to order you the correct size bashguard or you take matters into your own hands, check out BBG bashguards.

BBG Bashguards

My chain rings were 22t/32t/42t (the same as your Giant) so I picked up a 104 BCD 34t drilled bashguard (one size bigger than my second ring) to protect it. 18$ shipped and about 5 minutes on the install

Can you post a picture of the bashguard they installed?
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    This reminds me of the time I walked into Poison Spider in Moab and asked for a bash to replace my 3rd ring, and the guy told me they didn't exist. Pretty shameful for a guy at any shop to say that instead of admitting that he doesn't know, let alone a well-known one. I argued for a while and left.

Of course, the next day I went over backwards on Slickrock and tore up my forearm with my chainring. FWIW, I've been using the Race Face bash since then, and it's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now