1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Question regarding grips

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I am going to replace the grips on my Specialized Hardrock. Looking through the forums, I've seen several recommendations for the Yeti Hard Core Lock-On grip. I have a set of bar ends on my bike and want to keep them. Can I use the Yeti grips and still keep my bar ends? I'm assuming I can just put the grips on and then slide them on the bar enough to clamp my bar ends on, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for the help.

Who is John Galt?
    Jan 2006
    lock-on grips will just slide on like you said and work great with bar-ends. I've never used the yeti ones, but i think they are the same deal as the ODI ones I use. Some people complain that the metal clamp on the outside of the grip bothers them when they move the hands around to the bar-end but I've never noticed it....

mtbr member

Upset Help!!!

I bought the Yeti grips, and now I can't get them on to save my life! The package says to use alcohol as a lubricant, but it evaporates too quickly. Is there any way to get new grips on aside from blistering my hands?

ride hard take risks
    So you have the standard grip not the clamp-on. Use lots of alcohol or air with a blow nozzel.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cheap hairspray works well also, it is pretty much alcohol+sticky stuff. Spray the insides of the grip and the bar and quickly push/twist/push/twist until it is in place.

mtbr member
    I finally got the grips on, but I had to soak them in alcohol before I could get them on. I'm pretty sure they will not move now, but I have to wait for my blisters to heal now before I can ride! Oh well, at least I'll know in the future. Thanks for all the help.

ride hard take risks
    Next round go for the clamp on ones, much easier.

Who is John Galt?
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1850
    I finally got the grips on, but I had to soak them in alcohol before I could get them on. I'm pretty sure they will not move now, but I have to wait for my blisters to heal now before I can ride! Oh well, at least I'll know in the future. Thanks for all the help.

FYI - You didn't buy "clamp-on" grips...you have standard grips....jsut so you know next time.

Qprx3
    Oct 2005
    I bought the Yeti grips, and now I can't get them on to save my life! The package says to use alcohol as a lubricant, but it evaporates too quickly. Is there any way to get new grips on aside from blistering my hands?
    I know it sounds strange, but I use shampoo to get my grips on. apply the shampoo to the bars (you should use a lot) and slide em on. There will be a lot of excess goo but you can wipe that off. Your grips will slide a little the frist couple of days but once that shampoo evaporates they stick to the bars like glue. I use lock-ons now, but if you must use the regular grips, that's what worked for me.

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Deoderant works well for me too... Makes the bike smell nice too!
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

pronounced may-duh

Throw them out or donate them to charity and get some real ODI lock-on grips. I'm serious ODI Lock-on grips are the best thing to happen to grips ever.

But If you really want to put those on just squirt a bit of windex of fantastic or something inside the grip and it will slide on like butter. When the soap dries the grips will hold tight. When it gets wet agian from rain or even sweat they will move again. Thats why lock-ons are so much better. Easy on, easy off and rock solid rain or shine.