mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Question on price of bike

Trying to find a used bike and was considering a 2010 GF Marlin disc. The following has been added to it: Avid BB-7 disc brakes, Manitou fork. Seller is asking 700. It appears to be in very good condition. Since I'm new to MBs, I don't really know how much I should pay for something like this.
    Thanks for any help!!

mtbr member
    Didn't that bike cost about that new?? Nice that it has some upgrades, but in general, I don't pay much more than 50% or so of original list for a used bike. Used is a great way to buy a bike, but keep in mind, any number of things could be wrong/could go wrong, there's no warranty... that's why it should be a sh*tload cheaper than a new bike from a bike shop.

Max I'd go on that bike would be around $450 if pristine. I think it was $850 new. Maybe I'd go $500 with the upgrades, but do you know who did the work? Professional?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That's a very good point. I thought it might be a bit high, but the manitou fork is supposed to be pretty new and it appeared to cost a little bit. I need to see what they are new and maybe make and offer that way. I'm also not sure who has worked on the bike. I've read a lot here and I think I might go new, but am just trying to take advantage of a deal if someone finds something they don't exactly like or would like an upgrade. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If the retail cost if $850, then the most I would pay is $500-600 max depending on the condition. Generally there is not too much that can go bad on a mtb, just make sure to check for dents or cracks at the welds. Make sure nothing squeaks and the shock/fork works correctly. Check the stanchion for any scratches or scarring. And make sure the wheels are trued.

If the frame was carbon, then it would be a different story since it is harder to detect hairline cracks.

Oh, and it shouldn't really matter who did the work if the installation was done correctly.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Which fork?

One of the big problems with entry-level MTBs is that the forks blow. Both a real fork and real disc brakes are real upgrades. That said, they don't increase the objective value of the bike that much - it already had a Dart 3, which is at least tunable to some degree, and BB5 brakes, which actually do their job pretty well as long as the ride isn't super-wet. So, while real upgrades, they also fall into the category of replacing a component that works (although I don't know how well the fork worked. ) with another component that works.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Which fork?

One of the big problems with entry-level MTBs is that the forks blow. Both a real fork and real disc brakes are real upgrades. That said, they don't increase the objective value of the bike that much - it already had a Dart 3, which is at least tunable to some degree, and BB5 brakes, which actually do their job pretty well as long as the ride isn't super-wet. So, while real upgrades, they also fall into the category of replacing a component that works (although I don't know how well the fork worked. ) with another component that works.
    It's a white manitou drake fork 100mm? Pretty new at this, so I don't know if that actually tells you or there's 10 manitou drake forks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    One of the '09 Drakes is online for $325. A suspension fork if you only know the name is a little like a chassis with unknown parts. Manitou has a couple of different springs and a couple of different dampers they put in different forks. I'm too lazy to figure out which systems were available in the Drake. It was a mid-range suspension fork for trail riding, so probably a good choice for the front of that bike. My experience of Manitous has been generally positive when they're sealed up. People sometimes have problems maintaining them.

For me, it would be value added. Not a ton. I think the bike retailed for $770? So maybe now it's a $400-$500 bike. Condition is important, of course. You can always check closed listings on EBay to get a better idea of what any given bike really goes for. Keep in mind that if you're in an area where bikes sell for MSRP, used bikes are worth more than if you're in an area where bikes usually sell for a lot less, or there's a lot of Craig's List traffic in late-model used bikes, and that with EBay you also pay shipping. Ultimately, this is not something that's amenable to a formula.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I totally understand what you're saying.

I'm really glad I decided to register here. Thanks so much to for the help! I'm probably going to pass on this bike and start riding some new ones at my LBS. Hopefully I can give back in some way one day!

mtbr member
    HAH -- the seller of this bike was asking for advice in the Bikes & Frames forum on how much to ask for his bike. $700 was suggested. I guess we think all sellers should get more, but all buyers should pay less. Careful what advice you give around here.

How much to sell GF Marlin for?