1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Question About Used Specialized Rockhoppers

I am looking at an 05 RH for my wife and an 08 RH for myself.

So my question is, are these good to start out on? She likes ti ride on pavement and the occasional dirt road. I have an extensive background in motocross and used to ride BMW bikes aggressively while growing up. Needless to say, I hammer on bikes. Will the RH take it? Do they require a lot of maintenance? Can it be used for a dual on/off road use?

I attached some pictures of the bike I am looking at. The 05 has an A1 frame and the 08 has an M4. Not sure what the differences are in those.

Finally the main thing I'd like to know. Is $230 for the 05 and $400 for the 08 a fair deal?

I will take all advice and welcome any criticisms.

TIA

Chris-

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Question About Used Specialized Rockhoppers-3tf3kb3l55r25sa5h1d6j6502fb59a37d100f.jpgQuestion About Used Specialized Rockhoppers-3e13r53fd5i15k95tad6pc01aa1640fc916c8.jpg

Forgot the pix!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Thanks for the reply

Is it a good thing its a 2010? Wonder why he doesnt know the correct year...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I ride an '07 RH which has I've only ridden aggressively in the last year. The bike takes everything I can throw at it - everyone else in our group, except my wife, ride FS bikes. We do everything they do and when I have to bale, it's my lack of skill on the obstacle, not the bike that is the limiting factor.

The only component I'm not happy with is the front suspension where I'm not getting the 100mm of travel. I thought I was only getting around 45mm, but at the end of todays aggressive ride the tie I put on was at 70mm. So it wasn't as bad as I thought.

RH seem to hold value, we brought a '99 a couple of months ago for my step-daughter and paid $275.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The wife ended up wanting a bike later next year but im picking up my RH tomorrow

Ordered Wellgo WAM-D10 pedals for it already