mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Question about tires and rims

Well I have been riding my tires for a while now, and they are in need to be replaced due to natural wear. Here is my question:

I currently run two Mutano Raptor tires (2.14) but I want to try something different. I want to run a Moto Raptor (2.1) tire on the back and a Weirwolf (2.3) on the front. However, I'm not sure if my front rim could handle a 2.3 tire. How can you tell what size tires a rim can take?

I currently have the Alex ID19 wheelset, but I can't find any information them anywhere. I'm sure different rims take different tire sizes, but I want to make sure the rim can handle a differen size before I order the tire and its useless.

I'd appreciate anyone with any experience with this.

Thanks!

I post too much.
    You can fit any tire on that rim so long as it is a 26'' tire bigger than like 1.75'', there is no upper limit, but there is a lower one, due to narrower tires eventually needing a narrower rim. Go right ahead without worry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

But what about choosing the right tires? For instance I want to run a 2.3 in the front and 2.14 in the back, but what if I wanted to run a 2.5 in the front? How will that effect the back tire? Should I then run a 2.3 in the rear?

How does choosing tires like this work?

I ride mainly All-mountain (some xc, but I'm more aggressive than a typical xc rider - I like DHing also)

I'm in the mood to experiment with these things to see how I like it, but I want to make sure I do things right.