1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Question about tires and rims

Well I have been riding my tires for a while now, and they are in need to be replaced due to natural wear. Here is my question:

I currently run two Mutano Raptor tires (2.14) but I want to try something different. I want to run a Moto Raptor (2.1) tire on the back and a Weirwolf (2.3) on the front. However, I'm not sure if my front rim could handle a 2.3 tire. How can you tell what size tires a rim can take?

I currently have the Alex ID19 wheelset, but I can't find any information them anywhere. I'm sure different rims take different tire sizes, but I want to make sure the rim can handle a differen size before I order the tire and its useless.

I'd appreciate anyone with any experience with this.

Thanks!

I post too much.
    You can fit any tire on that rim so long as it is a 26'' tire bigger than like 1.75'', there is no upper limit, but there is a lower one, due to narrower tires eventually needing a narrower rim. Go right ahead without worry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

But what about choosing the right tires? For instance I want to run a 2.3 in the front and 2.14 in the back, but what if I wanted to run a 2.5 in the front? How will that effect the back tire? Should I then run a 2.3 in the rear?

How does choosing tires like this work?

I ride mainly All-mountain (some xc, but I'm more aggressive than a typical xc rider - I like DHing also)

I'm in the mood to experiment with these things to see how I like it, but I want to make sure I do things right.