1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Question about tires...

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is an advantage to having two different kinds of tires on your bike?

I often scroll through the mtbr boards to check out other peoples rigs, and often notice riders have two different tires. Why is that?

Also, if it is a good thing to do, what kind of tire would you want where? Would you put a light XC tire on the front and a heavier AM tire on the back, or vice versa?

I currently run two Motoraptors and they are starting to wear, so I'd like to learn more about this before I go out and start researching and buying new tires.

bi-winning
    Generally, you require more cornering traction from the front tire.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I think tires are a personal choice. Some people run the same tire front and back, some run different tires, some run a 2.3 in the front and a 2.1 in the rear. Its all about what you like. Allot of your research is going to be reading reviews and trying tires to find what suits your style of riding. good luck
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

spec4life???..smh...
    I am getting ready to get a new set of wtb velociraptors. Although they are the same tire they are front and rear specific. With the rear having horizontal knobes for climbing and the front more traditional style for cornering. I really like this setup and find the horizontal knobes gives much better traction.

mtbr member
    some people run a more agressive tread tire in the front and often its alittle wider, and the back just tracks where you tell the front wheel to go so often its skinnier with faster rolling characterisits, some tires are front and rear specific and some tires you can even run backwards in "mud shedding mode" and run them forwards for the best traction

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    I am getting ready to get a new set of wtb velociraptors. Although they are the same tire they are front and rear specific. With the rear having horizontal knobes for climbing and the front more traditional style for cornering. I really like this setup and find the horizontal knobes gives much better traction.
    I just hooked this deal up http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=2167. I had just bought 2 Kenda Nevegal's for $50 a piece at the LBS (ouch ) and someone told me about this deal so I took the Kenda's back. They were probably a little better tire, but I dunno about $60 better. Im rockin the Velociraptors now and they seem pretty sick....
    "Friends Don’t Let Friends Get Friends Haircuts”

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubensis
    I just hooked this deal up http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=2167. I had just bought 2 Kenda Nevegal's for $50 a piece at the LBS (ouch ) and someone told me about this deal so I took the Kenda's back. They were probably a little better tire, but I dunno about $60 better. Im rockin the Velociraptors now and they seem pretty sick....
    Yeah man thats a good deal but i think ill spend 5 extra a peice and get the kevlar bead version from bluesky

No good in rock gardens..
    Tyres come in different profiles too - there are squarer shaped tyres that put more tread on the ground at all times, and rounder tyres that keep the edging tread up out of the way. Some folks like a squarer tyre up front with a rounder one up the back, some folks like other variations.

The current trend seems to be away from radically different treads for front and rear tyres - take the aforementioned Velociraptor which has a different tread on the front and back tyres, as well as a differnt profile too. Same goes for the old skool Smoke and Dart tyres. Now it's pretty much a do it all tread that can be used both ends.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    Yeah man thats a good deal but i think ill spend 5 extra a peice and get the kevlar bead version from bluesky
    Well heck...you were supposed to clue me in on that deal...lol I guess wire bead will work for now and at $20 a pc...how can one go wrong...
    "Friends Don’t Let Friends Get Friends Haircuts”

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubensis
    Well heck...you were supposed to clue me in on that deal...lol I guess wire bead will work for now and at $20 a pc...how can one go wrong...

My bad...you got a good deal and there really isnt that much diffrence anyhow...Ill do better next time i promise