1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Question about tire width

The bike I have came with 29x2.20 tires. I was wondering if 29x2.35 or other widths would work?

I have the Trek Mamba and the wheels are;Formula DC20 LW alloy front hub; Formula DC22 LW alloy rear hub w/Bontrager AT-850 32-hole double-walled rims

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Usually the limiting factor is in the rear. How much clearance do you have between the chainstays and seatstays? Check your fork too, but forks are usually fine.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A 2.25 Nobby Nic Perf. or Racing Ralph Perf. would go on the rear and give you good traction, the RaRa would be faster. The Nobby Nic would add a little more cushion at the back. The Nobby Nic makes a great front tire for hardpack and loose over hard with less washout in curves for me than a Ra Ra. A wider tire would fit on the front.

mtbr member
    Its not a matter of "will a 29x2.35 tire fit?", its a matter of "will a 29x2.35 Hans Dampf fit?". All tires are different and the measurements are not identical even though they may be marketed as such. I gave the HD as an example because it has been reported to be closer to a 2.5 than a 2.35. And Continental tires are generally smaller than the listed size.

Quick answer, most likely. But, not 100%.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post

Quick answer, most likely. But, not 100%.
    +1

There isn't a hell of a lot of room between the chainstays on those frames, so 2.5 would be pushing it, 2.35 is going to be close, and 2.2 is a pretty much a sure things.