1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Question about stem sizing

I currently have the following stem from Easton, which has a 6 degree rise (110mm):

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Stem+08.aspx

I'm looking into getting another stem. In my mind, I was thinking about doing a 15 degree rise, but they seem kind of hard to find. I did see some 10 degree rise stems, such as this one:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...ntain-Stem.htm

For overall comfort and a slightly more upright riding position, do you think I'd notice much of a difference between the 6 and 10 degree rise?

Picture Unrelated
    You might notice some difference but probably not a lot. Try getting an 80mm stem with the 15 deg rise maybe. Those two things together will certainly make a noticeable difference in the fit of the bike. Just remember that every change in the stem also affects the way the bike handles so don't go crazy.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Think if you look around more, ebay whatever, you'll find what you want. Can you fit another spacer under the stem for rise?
    Wether you get more rise or shorter stem, you'll put yourself more upright so maybe a bit of each.
    As mentioned above going shorter is an option, but the shorter the stem, or the more rise, the quicker the steering becomes, and if I got it right you have 120mm now so going down to 80mm would be way different. 10-20 shorter max and up with the rise a little would be my thoughts.
    If you have riser bars, depending on how they are now, you could rotate the bars to shorten your reach putting you more upright. The more of a rise on the bars, the more of an adjustment you can get from them. If you don't have riser bars or bars with a bit of rise, getting some or 1 with more rise is another option.
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-20-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I like the 6 degree 110mm stem now more than I did when I first put the bike together. That set up is honestly what I prefer for the trails, but I also do a lot of road riding, which is why I was thinking of switching it up a bit. I wouldn't be able to use another spacer as I'm pretty much maxed out there. I still have the old stem, but it is shorter and has too much rise...plus I will be giving it to a girl I know to help make her bike "bigger" - she is around 5'4" tall and the store actually sold a 13" frame to her! I figured my old stem would help her out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Use a stem chart to see exactly what the effect a change will make. Using a 19 degree head tube angle and your stem yields the drawn line. Just add 19 to the angle of a stem you're considering to see the x/y difference.

I'm going to delete the chart. You can find the original here: http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

From Habanero Cycle
    Last edited by rlouder; 08-03-2011 at 06:50 PM.