1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Question about replacing pedals

So yesterday, i got new tires and clipless pedals/shoes. Aside from putting one of the tires on backwards and having to turn it around, it went off without a hitch. My question is, the pedal directions recommended i put some grease in the threads before i screwed on the pedals. What is the purpose of this? I didnt have any grease, so I put a few layers of that white teflon tape around the thread before i screwed it in. Sufficient?

On a side note, had my first clipless pedal ride yesterday too. Wow! pretty different feeling being attached to your bike like that. Trying to get your feet in the first time is such a foreign feeling. It took probibly 5 minutes to just figure out how to get it clipped in. I had 2 Near miss "fall over like a tree" moments that i managed to get unclipped and get a foot down and 1 fall, where the bike slid out under me on a turn. I also had to grab a tree once to stop from falling over, but all and all i think i did pretty well.

mtbr member
    Teflon tape is more of a sealant, for plumbing pipes and whatnot. It's fine, and it wont hurt anything, but next time you remove the pedals, throw some grease on the threads to prevent them from seizing in the crank arms over time.

What could go wrong ...
    yeah I use PW grease on all my bikes or you can use some anti-sieze compound on the pedal threads
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

local trails rider
    The purpose of the grease, or anti seize, is to prevent the threads from getting stuck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thx for the replies ill find some grease