1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008

Question about my shifter

So I'm replacing my rear deraileur shifter cable and I've come across a confusing problem. I have Shimano 8-speed shifters that came with the bike and on the right shifter, I noticed the ferrule (spelling?) adjuster isn't there. After checking every last nook and cranny of my garage and not finding anything, I came across a picture on the web of the same shifters and it appears the right doesn't have a ferrule adjuster in the first place. So what adjusts the cable then . Am I missing something? I bought an extra at my LBS and it doesn't fit. Any help would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You mean, barrel adjuster? I am not sure, may be there are some simpler models without the adjuster or it may have gone loose and fallen out of the thread. Anyway, you may adjust cable tension with similar adjuster on the derailleur itself, it just won't be as convenient.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

With many rear shifters....

manufacturers have eliminated the barrel adjuster from the right side shifter. This is particularly true with Shimano. All shimano rear derailleurs have a barrel adjuster at the derailleur where the cable passes through to the anchor bolt and clamp. This makes the adjuster at the shifter unnecessary and adds to the cost of the shifter. Adjustments are made at the derailleur. This doesn't hold true for ALL shimano shifters, higher end shifters and older models will in most cases still have a barrel adjuster on the front shifter. But as I said there are many models that don't have them. The only shifter anymore that will always have a barrel adjuster on it is the front. There's no place to but a barrel adjuster on the front derailleur (and no room to use it if you could) so the adjuster must be on the shifter.

SRAM on the other hand has gone the oposite way. Their rear derailleurs don't have barrel adjusters on them. So all of their rear shifters have adjusters on them. This isn't a big deal as SRAM shifters and derailleurs are not compatable with Shimano components as far as rear derailleurs and shifters go.

Anyway, most of the current low to mid level shimano rear shifters don't have barrel adjusters on them anymore. But the derailleurs do, so you can still make adjustmets there.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    manufacturers have eliminated the barrel adjuster from the right side shifter. This is particularly true with Shimano. All shimano rear derailleurs have a barrel adjuster at the derailleur where the cable passes through to the anchor bolt and clamp. This makes the adjuster at the shifter unnecessary and adds to the cost of the shifter. Adjustments are made at the derailleur. This doesn't hold true for ALL shimano shifters, higher end shifters and older models will in most cases still have a barrel adjuster on the front shifter. But as I said there are many models that don't have them. The only shifter anymore that will always have a barrel adjuster on it is the front. There's no place to but a barrel adjuster on the front derailleur (and no room to use it if you could) so the adjuster must be on the shifter.

SRAM on the other hand has gone the oposite way. Their rear derailleurs don't have barrel adjusters on them. So all of their rear shifters have adjusters on them. This isn't a big deal as SRAM shifters and derailleurs are not compatable with Shimano components as far as rear derailleurs and shifters go.
    f
    Anyway, most of the current low to mid level shimano rear shifters don't have barrel adjusters on them anymore. But the derailleurs do, so you can still make adjustmets there.

Good Dirt
    Probably, you are right. But now I am scratching the back of my poor old head. Why did they get rid of adjuster on a shifter and not on a derailleur? Both are absolutely identical, with same amount of travel. Yet adjuster on the shifter is much more convenient to use.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    pics of the shifter? also those adjusters come in a couple of different sizes. if there's a place to screw one in, then you need it, if the one you bought doesn't fit go back and get the correct size.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the resopnses. I'll show it to the guys at the shop to make sure. But I think squash got it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I have the same one as you do. Crappy 7 speed shifter+brake lever, right?
    I noticed the same thing a few days ago, no adjustment screw. I think that the fact that there's no thread on the shifter, should have hinted you about wether it had an adjustment screw or not.