1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Question about my next step disc brakes and wheels or new fork with vbrake mounts

I am assuming I am posting in the right spot. If not feel free to move me where ever you need to. I am slowly upgrading and modernizing my 01 bianchi wannabee. I am slightly stuck. I have a limited budget or I would just overhaul the entire bike. I want to know should I upgrade to disc brakes which would entail buying new disk ready wheels and maybe tires. Or, should I get a new fork maybe in the suntour xcr or bomber range with vbrake mounts. My brakes have been working fine even though I am sure they are original to the bike. My Judy fork while being pretty squishy and squeaky still works. I mainly do xc biking on some decently rough trails, lots of roots and stream crossings. My Judy does have disc mounts so I could wait. Not sure which direction to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question about my next step disc brakes and wheels  or new fork with vbrake mounts-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Service your fork. Bluesky has a SLX front brake for 79. I wouldn'spend on another brand. HS1 Avid 160 rotor off ebay. And a front disc hub wheel like an ArchEX. The brake and wheel can go on a future bike.
    Does your frame have the mount for a rear caliper? if not stop there and ride it with these upgrades and save.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Question about my next step disc brakes and wheels or new fork with vbrake mou

Yes the frame has a rear mount too. Thanks for the info I will check it out.

mtbr member
    X2 on the comments, the Judy series fork should be good with a rebuild. As a bike with front and rear mounts, I would definitely look into getting disc wheels. As far as caliper/brake sets, there are two options. If you have integrated shift/brake levers, you may wish to go with mechanical actuated discs. They are a little higher maintenance but backwards compatible with your levers. A little less 'lever feel' but if you are coming from rim brakes you will likely be fine with it.

Hydraulic brakes. Those are self contained with their own levers, so the shifters have to be separately mounted(unless bought as a full set for $$$). They have the best feel and lowest maintenance in most cases. Doesn't have to be expensive, especially with the Ebay option. I have been running Deore 555 hydro for over 10 years without problems and they were only $50 for the set on ebay back then.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    May 2013

Yeah they are already separate I have x7 shifters and original avid levers. I am watching eBay right now for some deals. I will have to get a wheel set too. I like wtb speed 2.1 that are on there but the hubs won't work.

mtbr member
    May 2013

On my way, ordered some weinmann xtr 26 disk read wheels. Maybe getting my brakes and rotors in the next few days. Pictures to come.