1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

A question about Joe's Bio Degreaser

Hello every one, i want to ask you all a question about this product, and the question is mostly about what can i do with it ? can i clean with it my shox seals ? is it bad for the disk break pads ?.......and there is any thing else i should know about it ?

Thank you all and have a nice day.
    You die just once, so, it's better be good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Keep it away from the brake pads and disks.

I would limit it's use to the drivetrain. That's what it's made for.

There really isn't any need to "degrease" anything else.

Former Bike Wrench
    Isoprpyl Alcohol on brakes, NO degreaser...you can pay a lot of $$ per oz for "bicycle degreaser" or just buy some Simple Green, Purple Power, or similar for way less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Isoprpyl Alcohol on brakes, NO degreaser...you can pay a lot of $$ per oz for "bicycle degreaser" or just buy some Simple Green, Purple Power, or similar for way less.

Simple green is where its at.
    they even make a lemon scented version now, which is a lot nicer to smell than the original... which isnt that bad either, but yea...

i use simple green on almost the whole bike (rag damp with simplegreen to wipe down the frame, etc, as i have a matte paint job on my frame). but yes, keep cleaners and such away from brake parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mates, chack out this video of joe's---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xbx5...layer_embedded

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm sure "Joe's" would love for you to spray it all over with their aerosol can. It must be right, "I saw it on Youtube".

Most of the product hit the ground and was wasted (and back you go to buy more). The whole frame can usually be washed with just water.

I know the pretty girl made the product look wonderful and easy to use while you clean and lube the bike in one minute, but it just doesn't work like that.

She degreased the derailluer and failed to lube it. She lubed the chain without giving it time for the water to dry from inside the rollers, guaranteeing that the lube stayed on the outside where it does no good. She is probably causing an early death for the freehub. She contaminated the brake pads, etc., etc.

Feel free to follow the video. It's your bike, but my advise is don't do it.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 12-22-2010 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I'm sure "Joe's" would love for you to spray it all over with their aerosol can. It must be right, "I saw it on Youtube".

Most of the product hit the ground and was wasted (and back you go to buy more). The whole frame can usually be washed with just water.

I know the pretty girl made the product look wonderful and easy to use while you clean and lube the bike in one minute, but it just doesn't work like that.

She "degrease the derailluer and failed to lube it. She lubed the chain without giving it time for the water to dry from inside the rollers, guaranteeing that the lube stayed on the outside where it does no good. She is probably causing an early death for the freehub. She contaminated the brake pads, etc., etc.

Feel free to follow the video. It's your bike, but my advise is don't do it.
    Yes...she looks good...but i will listen to you mate

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey wait a minute.....this is a message from SRAM

CLEANING DO's and DON'TS

Do: Wet a rag, or spray your fork with isopropyl alcohol or degreaser. Wipe the crown, top caps, upper tubes, dust seals, and lower legs clean.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So as i understand from Sram, i can use it on my fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jordenkl
    Hey wait a minute.....this is a message from SRAM

CLEANING DO's and DON'TS

Do: Wet a rag, or spray your fork with isopropyl alcohol or degreaser. Wipe the crown, top caps, upper tubes, dust seals, and lower legs clean.

Yea, typically I just spray an old sock with some simple green, just till its damp, and wrap it around the stanchion tube and wipe it down, clear all the dirt from around the seals, and then make sure it's dry.

Soaking my bike with a spray of degreaser sounds bad for my greased up suspension pivots... I use old t shirts as rags, and spray the cleaner (simple green) onto my rag, then wipe the bike down. On the occasions that my chain requires a real cleaning, I lay a couple rags in behind the chain, and spray the chain directly with the simple green, other than that, I don't spray degreaser onto a bike.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I wouldn't EVER use degreaser near my fork or shock. It will only remove the lubricant that makes the fork operate properly. A wet rag will suffice for fork cleaning.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    It may because I don't ride in the mud but I think actively cleaning your bike is a waste of time and effort. Spraying it down with a hose is about the most I would bother with. Most of the dirt that gets on you bike, epically your mountain bike, is inconsequential.

That being said I think cleaning and properly lubing your drivetrain, regular maintenance (not obsessive maintenance), and not being a tight wad when it comes to buying new parts goes a LONG way.

The only degreaser I end up using is when I clean my chain, which happens about twice a chain, and I like the Finish Line citrus stuff, but really anything will work.