1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Ride like you stole it!

Question about crankset/arm...

[SIZE="2"]I got a 26" Huffy Stalker LX(frame is 21")18 spd mtn bike that was given to me. I tried to replace the pedals on the crankarm but the screws is stripped and one pedal is bent pretty good in the crankarm and to me it's beyond fixable.
    Can I replace just the crank arm, or do I need to replace the whole crankset?
    If the whole set, how do I know what size I need to get for this bike?
    Also the gear shift is shot as it will not shift, so I want to have that replace or is there around it to fix the shifts?

Any tips for these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Whats with the influx of "can I fix my crappy KMart bike?" posts? Anyway, most likely on a hufy it's a one piece crank meaning you will have to replace the whole thing and only god and huffy know what size it is. Considering you'll have better luck inflating your tire with a turkey baster than to get a bike shop to track down huffy parts you may want to invest in a new ride. Especially considering a tune up at many bike shops costs what a new huffy does.
    Last edited by BlurredVision; 06-20-2008 at 02:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Huffy may be OK for paved roads in the park, but not for mountain trails.

mtbr member
    It's a sad reality that the cost of parts and repair on that bike will surpass the cost of a new Huffy.

If you're dead set on repairing it, check your area for bike co-ops. We have one here in VT, and they stock a lot of beater bikes that you (or they) can pull parts off of, and get you going for very little money. It's a great opportunity to maintain inexpensive transportation. Otherwise, search craigslist.com or yard sales for another Huffy donor.

Since your shifting is shot, just cut your losses and turn that thing into a single speed. Much easier than fussing with low end components that don't operate well to begin with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Stay on the forums and read, learn, and ask questions so you can get yourself a real mountain bike.(there's some good inexpensive ones) And don't be discouraged by negative replies. Take care.---zarr

Ride like you stole it!
    Thank you zarr.
    I'm not discouraged by the negative. I mean what's the purpose for this "Beginner's Corner" anyways, right?
    Not everyone can afford to buy the expensive "quality" mtn bikes anyways. Hubby and I looked at couple of bikes and we're talking about it as it's about $400 a piece, but I'm looking into it first before we do buy, we both sat on the bikes, rode around the store, and we both like it. It's Schwinn, 26" mtn, 21 spd, full suspension, etc. So we're debating on it right now, we're not rushing on making the quick discision.
    We decided to keep the huffy and use it as parts for our "cheap" bikes.
    Last time I fixed up bikes when I was 15, and now I'm 34 and now getting back into bikes again as it was part of my daily life activity while I was growing up. So of course gonna need refresher course to catch up to my old age lol.
    Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    I don't mean to sound negative or discouraging at all, but I cringe when I see folks spend $70 for a tuneup on a $100 bike. It's just unfortunate. It's not any fault of the consumer, but more from the economic realities: that labor overseas is much cheaper, and when you try to repair them stateside, at a specialty bike mechanic, you end up paying quite a lot more.

That's why I mentioned the co-op option. If you can find something like this locally, you'll be able to get some great deals from knowledgeable folks interested in repairing all bikes, not just high-end vanity bikes.

And I was half-joking with the single speed comment. Should have used a "" or something. I think people overlook the low-maintenance aspects of single speeds for beginners, and most Huffy's have horizontal dropouts that are perfect for inexpensive conversions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    the schwin you are looking at isn't going to be much better imo ... i know in the 400 price range if you go to an actual bike shop if you are near one .. that price will get you into one of the two or three base models that they carry (depending on brand) ... and it would be a lot better then one from most any large chain store ... and will come with a warrenty on the parts...

Ride like you stole it!
    That's why we're debating on it, we haven't make the final discision on it yet as we want to look around some more before we make our final discision. As I found couple of bikes that I'm interested in that's in couple of bike shops in Tacoma.

mtbr member
    I too am just getting back into it. Knowing very little I went to Target and got the best thing they had which was a FS Schwinn. Took it home, rode around the block and took that POS right back. Went to my LBS and got a Trek 820 and am much happier. Once I am back in shape and make my target weight I will reward myself with a better bike, but for now the 820 is doing me quite well for the road and very light trails that I'm doing.

mtbr member
    hey rodeo gal ! yes your bike can be fixed. take it to the bike shop and get an estimate on repairs. then decide to fix, or not. also, another option would be to locate a similar bike used, that might have the parts you need. might be cheaper to buy another whole used bike for parts than have the bike shop do it. of course, then the repairs would have to be made. if you or the main squeeze aren't proficient at bike wrenching or got a buddy who is, then its back to the bike shop dilemma, or buy something different. best-o-luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

all huffys should be singlespeeds

unless they're pink, in which case they should be fixed gears
    Two riders were approaching; and the wind began to howl.