1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Question about adjusting tension on my M520 pedals

Hi,

I just received my M520's and have been playing with the tension adjuster. Some questions:

1) should the tension adjuster be pretty stiff to turn? Seems harder to turn than I would have expected. I'm afraid I may have actually stripped one trying to turn it.

2) do they stop turning once they've reached max/min? how do I know if they are both at the same level?

3) what exact movement should I be able to see happening as I adjust tension? I'm trying to watch closely as I'm doing it but I don't really see any parts moving (ie: plate or spring) - are movements really subtle?

4) the silver part that has the tension adjuster on it, should I be able to bend that back with my bare hands when set on easiest (since I'm pretty sure this is the part that moves forward during the clip in process? won't budge!

5) lastly (and I hope this doesn't sound too dumb!), should I be able to "clip in" while holding the pedal in my hand and my shoe in the other hand - just wanted to see/feel how it all works before I installed them.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    1) If I remember correctly mine is stiff, but not overly so.

2) Yes, I believe they do.

3) I don't think you can really see any movement, I am trying to picture the pedals, you may be able to see some movement if you look in towards the middle of the pedal, but no large obvious movements.

4) I can't really move mine with my hands, but that could be down to hand strength more than anything. If you can't move it with your hands, I would not worry about it.

5) Yes, you can, and no, it does not sound too dumb. I did the same when I first got mine. It's handy to get a feel for the movement of the shoe when releasing it from the pedal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i bought mine used from somone

i just use it on the road to get a feel of the "tightness"
    and try to yank it out using different strength

if it pops up too easily, increase the tension 1 time as a time and try it over and over again till you feel is ok.

ya might need to fine tune it once riding on trail again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks a million! I was able to get them clipped in using my hands - not easy though! Now for the real thing.......nervous!

mtbr member
    I have had one out of three that was very stiff to turn the screw but it worked fine with some grunting.
    Start with the easiest level and work your way tighter as needed.
    Be sure to adjust the screws on both sides of each pedal.

Find a nice soft patch of grass to practice getting out of them while pretending like you were falling over and try to catch yourself.
    If you wait until you are about to fall on the rocks to practice then you will surely bleed. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ya can try this to see if it is too loose anot.

when both feet are clip in, ride fast across a road hump, use the leg to compress the bike and jump up

it should not unclip by itself, if yes, it is too loose for safety in trail.

just tighten it till it wouldn;t unclip by itself.

mtbr member
    I just got 520's this week as well.

Mine was stiff at first (I think they come with the tension set on the hardest) Don't think you will hurt the pedal, might break your allen wrench if it's cheap, but highly unlikely.

Yes, they stop turning. How you know they are are the same level is to count how many turns you make on one, then repeat on the other adjustment knobs.