1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Question on the abbreviations pertaining to tires

Can someone help with the abbreviations?
    UST, Stans? There are others cant think of them I guess XC is cross country & DH down hill what else?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Stans is a brand of tire sealant used for making non-tubeless tires tubeless and for flat preventions. UST refers to tubeless tires. I don't remember what it stands for.

Double-metric mtb man
    UST = Universal System (for) Tubeless
    Stans - Brand name of a type of sealant used for running tires tubeless
    Slime - green version of Stan's made by another company
    TR or TLR - tubeless ready, a Bontrager style of rim that can be run normally or tubeless
    AM - all mountain
    FR - freeride
    TPI - threads per inch. Measure of the number of threads used in the construction of a tire. More usually means thinner, lighter, longer wearing tires, but can also mean the tire is more susceptible to sidewall slicing
    QR or skewer - quick release.
    snake bite - a.k.a. a pinch flat. Flat caused when the tire is compressed so much that the tube is cut in two places by the rim (looks a bit like a snake bite).

I'll post more when I think of them.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Wire - steel wire bead, K - kevlar bead, a bit lighter and softer than wire.
    Joe's - one more brand of sealant, transparent.
    Front, rear - no explanation needed.
    Arrow marking direction of wheel rotation, if the tyre may be used as both front and rear - 2 arrows in opposite directions.
    Pressure limits in PSI.
    Tyre size in inches, very relative measure. 2.1 by one manufacturer may look like 2.4 by another.
    Last edited by xenon; 05-10-2007 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Deleted, sorry.
    Last edited by xenon; 05-10-2007 at 12:03 PM.