1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Question

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Question

http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/722479952.html Is this a good deal??? I don't really know that much about Specialized. What about the parts spec?

I'm not up on my Specialized bikes but that appears to be a very decent cross country full suspension bike with a very nice parts spec; the wheels are a bit weak only in comparison to the rest of the components, which are mostly top of the line. I didn't check for mtbr reviews, you might want to do that. It appears to be a fair price to me. More importantly, is it going to fit you? He's got that setup with a largish cockpit on a large frame (long stem, layback seatpost).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I agree with what Bikinfoolferlife said. The drivetrain is top of the line; X0 is SRAM's highest level, and Shimano XT is great, second only to XTR. Any Fox shock is great and will last a long time. The wheels are nice, but not as top of the line as the other components.

If it fits you, go for it. You MUST take a test ride on it. (It's local, right?). That's a good price, so if you haven't already contacted the seller, do so.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by hpi savage guy
    I don't really know that much about Specialized.
    In case you are not aware, this bike is kinda race type xc bike. It has relatively steep angles and it has the 'brain shock' in the rear. The brain shock is an inertia valve that
    'blows' open when a sufficient force (rock/root, etc) hits the rear end and is otherwise 'locked-out'. I point this out b/c some folks find this type of set up far from ideal for trail riding. The shock tries to make the bike both a hardtail and a full suspension, doing neither extremely well, imo anyway. Again, people who race Epic's seem to really like them and there is no reason you can't ride an Epic anywhere you darn well please, I just wanted to shed some light on the bike with the limited saddle time I've had on one.

Also, what year is that frame? 2003/4? Doesn't seem to say in the add.

If this is the type of bike you are looking for give it a test ride. Specs are nice minus the wheelset. I'd have a hard time shelling out $1500 for a bike if the frame is 5 years old though, but still, it seems reasonable, just not for me.

Cheezy Rider
    I'm a little put off buy the seller's contention that the Crosslands are a similar design to the Crossmax. Seems like he's sort of trying to pass off a $200 wheelset as a $700 one. Aside from that, nice parts, and a nice FS XC frame.

I'd pay $1500 to a shop who would provide some kind of warranty on it, but that's a lot of money to hand over to someone you may never see again. I'd try to get him down to a thousand, and check the frame carefully for dings(a few small ones are OK) and cracks(walk away).

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Dude, don't pay $1500 for that bike! Unless you know the history paying that much is a crapshoot. Take your money to a shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    I'm a little put off buy the seller's contention that the Crosslands are a similar design to the Crossmax. Seems like he's sort of trying to pass off a $200 wheelset as a $700 one. Aside from that, nice parts, and a nice FS XC frame.

I'd pay $1500 to a shop who would provide some kind of warranty on it, but that's a lot of money to hand over to someone you may never see again. I'd try to get him down to a thousand, and check the frame carefully for dings(a few small ones are OK) and cracks(walk away).
    I found the comment about the wheels a bit odd as well, sounded like a bit of rationalization about why the owner didn't put nicer wheels on...or he did and he kept them for another bike and tried to make a lesser wheelset sound better...

That bike looks pretty darn clean in the photos, but nothing like a hands-on once over...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique