1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

query on suntour xcm v3 100mm hlo fork

Hi,
    do we need to do any maintenance on suntour xcm v3 100 m hlo forks? My trek 4500d 2011 model came with them. response and travel doesnt seem much. I ride on roads and sometimes hit potholes. Is tuning required ? I see some travel , but not much.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Owners Manual is on Suntour's site. Not much you can do. Clean and grease bushings lubricate dust seals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Aye, most forks that you see on bikes sub $1k would be safe to ride into the ground, and replace with something else. Once a critical part breaks, replace it with a Marzocchi Marathon or a Rockshox Tora solo-air for budget sake, or go as nuts as you want.

If I'm remembering the correct fork, it is difficult to remove the lowers (or more accurately, to put them back on) to access the seals for a real cleaning, so wipe it down after each ride, and make sure to use a fork oil/silicon lubricant on the stanchions near the seals, compress, and wipe down. That will keep everything working as smooth as can be expected.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nah, shouldn't be difficult to take the fork apart and re-grease it. What you need to do is take the lowers off, clean everything down there, clean the spring, put some sticky grease over everything and put everything back together again. The fork should work ok after that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    its reall easy, flip the bike upside down, remove the two 10mm nuts and pull the lowers off. clean out all the sandy gritty grease, wipe down the inside of the fork seals and replace the grease with thin syntetic grease. you have to do it alot with the xcm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks all, how do I adjust the preload control knob? There is a S shaped plastic knob. I turned it with a wrench, but that seems to damage the knob.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
    thanks all, how do I adjust the preload control knob? There is a S shaped plastic knob. I turned it with a wrench, but that seems to damage the knob.
    Hmm I'm positive you should be able to turn it with two fingers without any problems... There must be some defect or something, the preload knob is probably stuck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The plastic threads often get warped if someone gorillas the knob into one or the other extreme. It may be fine if you can unstick it, but it may also be permanent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The knob does not seem to be damaged that much. How do I get the knob (preload knob) unstuck?