1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Query on Shimano M445 hydraulic brakes - disc pads

Hi,
    I am thinking of stocking spare disc pads for shimano 445 disc brakes ( came stock with my 2011 trek 4500 d). From the other articles on here, it seems that only resin pads can be used with them, (maybe sintered pads if rotors are bigger).

I am not sure what the rotor size is for the 2011 trek 4500 d. Can I use sintered pads with these? If not, BS01 should be fine? what are alternative disk pads?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    It's not about rotor size or the caliper, its about the material used for the rotor. The entry level RT-51/53 rotors that are usually matched with M445/6 brakes on new bikes are not hardened steel, so using sintered pads will wear them quickly. Thats why the rotors say "Resin pads only" on them.

If you really want to use something other than the stock B01S pads, then there are plenty of aftermarket pads available that will fit the M445 in all sorts of compounds - resin, kevlar, sintered.

Personally I prefer resin pads, they give great modulation and are quiet in operation. But then I ride in a dry part of the world, and accept that if you regularly ride in the wet then sintered pads will last longer.

mtbr member
    Sintered pads generate more heat and are also much more abbrasive on rotors. The M445 brakes are not designed to disapate the heat and the rotors are not designed to handle to harder compound brake pads.

However I have used semi-metallic pads do ok on these brakes. Check out the Kool Stop D620 pads which are organic with a little metal in them.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks. Do I need to get only the pads or also the spring and assembly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    trek customer service also suggested shimano EO1s metal apart from shimano B01S resin pad. any experience on the EO1S metal pads? thanks

mtbr member
    The Kool Stop pads come with new springs as well, I've never used the EO1 pads.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog