1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

query on cateye el 625 rc lights

Hi, has anyone tried out cateye el 625 rc cycle lights? how are they?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I used one on my road bike and it was fine for that but I wouldn't use it off road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Spec wise - they aren't too bad, and couldn't think of why they couldn't be used for off road. ~600 lumen on trail is not bad at all. Looks like cree XP-G emitters, run pretty conservatively to keep temp and consumption down.

can't speak to the beam shape/hotsport/spill - which may be a reason that jlmuncie says he wouldn't ride trail with them. For the ~$90 price I'm seeing online, You get a bit more out of the magicshine/MS clones out there.

If you want to work with a US-based vendor, the Gemini P7's Action-led has on closeout are pretty good bang for the buck, with someone you could go back to if you happened to have a problem.
    Action-LED-Lights — Gemini Titan - lightweight and powerful LED light for bike, running, skiing, or anywhere hands free lighting is needed

Picture Unrelated
    A good place to get light information is the absolutely massive light review section over here, on the sidebar --------->
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Spec wise - they aren't too bad, and couldn't think of why they couldn't be used for off road. ~600 lumen on trail is not bad at all. Looks like cree XP-G emitters, run pretty conservatively to keep temp and consumption down.

can't speak to the beam shape/hotsport/spill - which may be a reason that jlmuncie says he wouldn't ride trail with them. For the ~$90 price I'm seeing online, You get a bit more out of the magicshine/MS clones out there.
    It just wasn't bright enough for me but I like to ride at a fast pace and it may be ok for someone that's JRA. But like you said for the price there are better options. I picked up a Spoke Grenade 1000 lumen light on Amazon for $69 and it works a lot better for me.