1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Quasi-Moto Rising! Simple questions I hope.

OK, I am going through this bike I bought, I could ride it right now, but I am cleaning and polishing....don't we always seem to do that right at first? ....

Bike came with this Marzocchi Bomber fork- it is coming off, I got a Talas that arrived couple days ago. Me problem is- Fox,drop out axle- front wheel hub is a Ringle and the Marzocchi axle that goes through the wheel is huge. What am I missing to make this wheel work on the Fox? I assume whatever it is that's on the rear hub cause it's a King hub and a Salsa skewer.

BTW- On this Bomber fork, I can not figure out how these cam over clamp/ buckle things are supposed to work. Man, what were they thinking?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Pics help a lot with this kind of discussion. Basically, you've got something that uses a large axle that bolts into the fork. The point is to make the front end of the bike stiffer. I mostly ride short-travel XC bikes, so I can't say I have a strong feeling about this one way or the other. Some people think they're the Second Coming, though.

Figure out what hub, exactly, you have and go find the technical documents. Some hubs have conversion kits to use different axle standards. There are also adapters kicking around to go from bigger axles to the 9 mm axle/quick release standard. To be honest, I'm not sure if these are any good or if it's practical. But that's your next step.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Old style 9mm wheel/fork . New style 20 mm fork =finding new style 20mm hub/wheel.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Radamus View Post
    OK, I am going through this bike I bought, I could ride it right now, but I am cleaning and polishing....don't we always seem to do that right at first? ....

Bike came with this Marzocchi Bomber fork- it is coming off, I got a Talas that arrived couple days ago. Me problem is- Fox,drop out axle- front wheel hub is a Ringle and the Marzocchi axle that goes through the wheel is huge. What am I missing to make this wheel work on the Fox? I assume whatever it is that's on the rear hub cause it's a King hub and a Salsa skewer.

BTW- On this Bomber fork, I can not figure out how these cam over clamp/ buckle things are supposed to work. Man, what were they thinking?
    Pics of the front fork/axle?

If it's a 15mm axle, you can still adapt it to standard 9mm QR. If it's a "fixed" 20mm axle, you're SOL because the axle is 110mm long won't fit the 100mm wide QR fork.

{edit}
    I went back to look at the ebay posting you showed me the other day and it looks like you got a 20mm axle. Doh! If you want to keep the Talas you bought, you may have to change the hub.

-S

P.S. This is the link, right?
    Titus Quasi Moto Z1 Ringle King Race Face | eBay

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Pics of the front fork/axle?

If it's a 15mm axle, you can still adapt it to standard 9mm QR. If it's a "fixed" 20mm axle, you're SOL because the axle is 110mm long won't fit the 100mm wide QR fork.

{edit}
    I went back to look at the ebay posting you showed me the other day and it looks like you got a 20mm axle. Doh! If you want to keep the Talas you bought, you may have to change the hub.

-S

P.S. This is the link, right?
    Titus Quasi Moto Z1 Ringle King Race Face | eBay
    That was it. It's like 3/4" ... I'm at work so have to check when I get home. Yeah I've been looking when I had a chance today, not looking good... shucks, that's a shame, a perfectly good reason to have to get new wheels....bummer...

Looks like my Jamis frame may get some (used) shoes sooner than expected.

banned
    Sep 2012
    That was it. It's like 3/4" ... I'm at work so have to check when I get home. Yeah I've been looking when I had a chance today, not looking good... shucks, that's a shame, a perfectly good reason to have to get new wheels....bummer...

Looks like my Jamis frame may get some (used) shoes sooner than expected.
    Wish I'd steered you away from that Quasimoto - it's more of a FR/DH hybrid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah it's a giant peg for a small hole. So, from what I see, Ringle doesn't have an option. I thought there might be some kind of adapter but I can't find anything. No biggy, it will all stay together and go on the Jamis.
    The bike is really pretty cool, got some nice parts on it, it's really in nice cond. In comparison to the Jamis, not even on the same level. I dissasembled the crank/rings giving it some much needed love. Having fun making it shine, took everything apart, and that's a lot. It's built really beefy but don't weight much.
    Anyhow, that's what I got to work with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quasi-Moto Rising!  Simple questions I hope.-1128121921.jpg  

banned
    Sep 2012
    There is a chance that this may work

Mavic 9mm QR Adapter from BikeBling.com

-S

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There is a chance that this may work

Mavic 9mm QR Adapter from BikeBling.com

-S
    By golly sir I think those could do the Trick! It would come down to the installed width. In my photo, you see the exposed sealed bearing and one piece through axle housing. There is a cone shaped housing that covers all that which makes up the proper width to drop in the Marzoc fork. This wheel will not fit inside my Talas with those cones on so, those would come off and these 20 to 9 adapters would go on. It looks possible is all I'd say.

banned
    Sep 2012
    By golly sir I think those could do the Trick! It would come down to the installed width. In my photo, you see the exposed sealed bearing and one piece through axle housing. There is a cone shaped housing that covers all that which makes up the proper width to drop in the Marzoc fork. This wheel will not fit inside my Talas with those cones on so, those would come off and these 20 to 9 adapters would go on. It looks possible is all I'd say.
    Well if it ends up too long, grind the axle shorter with an angle grinder. LOL

If I had the thing in my hands I would have made adaptors for it on my lathe.
    (me making a replacement Mavic freehub bushing)

-S

T.W.O.
    shibiwan, you are the man!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    shibiwan, you are the man!
    Real men don't close the safety door while doing crap on the machines.

T.W.O.
    Real men don't close the safety door while doing crap on the machines.
    ha ha, and safety glasses are for sissy...medic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well Shibi - I solved my problem- I just snagged a set of QR Mavic Crosstrails' w/Schwalbe tires!
    They were take offs- Hard to imagine someone had to upgrade from those but fortunately it happens!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Well Shibi - I solved my problem- I just snagged a set of QR Mavic Crosstrails' w/Schwalbe tires!
    They were take offs- Hard to imagine someone had to upgrade from those but fortunately it happens!
    Great!! How much did that run you? $300?

I'm toying with the idea of building up one of the Titus X's now....

Oh here's the latest project:
    Today's DIY project...

-S

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great!! How much did that run you? $300?

I'm toying with the idea of building up one of the Titus X's now....

Oh here's the latest project:
    Today's DIY project...

-S
    Little more than that- I couldn't find XTrails under $400 anywhere new- but I did with new tires and Salsa skewers. After looking under every rock for a cpl weeks I just got tired of looking finding the same thing. Seemed like everything was a compromise.

Sure wish I was dumping all this stuff on one of those carbonX frames too. I also bought some more King parts, and other goodies.

What's funny is, my buddy that got me into this hasn't been in my shop for a cpl weeks and I'm playing dumb when he starts playing Mr detective on me and what I'm doing about getting a bike.

banned
    Sep 2012
    $400 is a great price especially if it came with those nice tires.

Hide everything when your friend comes around and keep him guessing.

-S

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    just for grins, if I boughtnew, those wheels/tires/sticks/tubes/ (tubeless)valves is an easy $650 getting the wheels on sale. So, I think I did purty good but it took a while. I did try to buy some custom builts, Mavic 819 with King hubs but they went way higher. This bike will be way more than I'll ever need. I also upgraded drivetrain to SRAM XO btw- the guy set these up tubeless but is including tubes.

So, I'm about done for now - too close to Christmas to be buying anymore for myself Is it spring yet?