1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Purchasing a bike on craigslist, need help...Thanks!

I am looking at a releigh technium mountain bike on craiglist to purchase for $150. New road tires and wheels. I dont have the information on what year it was manufactured, but any information on this bike would be great. Thanks so much

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Would probably help if you posted a link to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredVision
    Would probably help if you posted a link to it.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/728385671.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In world history theres dirt, and then that bike. Might make an ok commuter but I dont know that I'd pay $150... maybe $50, but probably not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    haha, thanks man. any other opinions out there?

Cheezy Rider
    Looks like late 80s or early 90s vintage. Not much of a mountain bike, but a great commuter. If you clean and grease the bearings every couple years (headset, hubs, and bottom bracket), it will probably last forever.

If the drivetrain, cables, and brake pads are in great shape(no visible wear) I'd consider $150, but probably wouldn't go over $100 otherwise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree with the above poster; If its in great running shape 150 is ok. You can always haggle some too. Offer $100.

I know it can be hard to find, but you can do pretty well on CL with $150 for getting an old commuter. Just look at all the CL listings in the area you are willing to drive to. This might be 5-10 different craigslist pages, depending on how far you want to go.