mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Purchase Happy which one should I keep Specialized or Trek?

Hi, kinda new to biking only been riding for one season and about 1000 miles in the saddle so far, I already have a cyclecross/commuter bike in my redline which was also a kinda spur of the moment purchase however 99 percent of my riding is local trails and all mountain type riding ranging from 2-10 miles with the occasional 50 mile ride about once a month.

I sold off all my bikes to help purchase two but would like to know from someone who has been in this longer than I have which one I should keep/transfer better components over to.

1st bike a 2009 Specialized Epic Comp 26er
    DT Swiss Wheelset
    Elixr RSL brakes
    Hollowtech2 crank
    2x10 Sram x7 shifters and derailleurs
    Fox RL32 100mm fork
    Fox Mini Brain rear shock
    easton carbon bars

2nd Bike 2010 Trek Fuel EX 9 26er
    Stans Tubeless wheelset
    Avid Juicy Brakes
    XT Shimano Crankset
    3x9 Gears
    2011 Fox F32 RL FIT Front Fork
    Fox RP23 DRCV rear Shock
    LX/XT Shadow (Front/Rear deraileures)

My question is which one is the better overall bike to keep in the long run and or components I should switch over both are in good overall shape with normal wear. The specialized I did have to have some work done when I bought it and the shifters derailleurs cassette are all new with less than 5 miles on them along with all new cables and housings. Only thing that hasnt been done is brake fluid flush but wasnt required yet. Any advice would be great thanks. I cant justify keeping them both. I like them pretty much equally which is why I am asking for some help.Purchase Happy which one should I keep Specialized or Trek?-00c0c_fgrr3pkqyvc_600x450.jpgPurchase Happy which one should I keep Specialized or Trek?-10923827_783210531734566_5344974843871140643_n.jpg

Fat-tired Roadie
    They're very different bikes, at least by design intent. The Epic is a pretty well-regarded, dedicated racer. The Fuel is Trek's entry in my least favorite class, trail bikes.

I haven't demoed an Epic.

I thought the Fuel climbed like an all-mountain bike and descended like a XC bike - I didn't like it very much. And I didn't think the linkage did a great job filtering pedal input. I like the spec on the Fuel you have a little better, though. Not a whole lot better, but a bit.

This is a crappy time to sell a mountain bike in the Northern hemisphere and both bikes have dropped about as much value as they're going to. I think you should hold onto both for a while longer. Alternate days on each, and see if one of them starts to grab you.

Are you doing your 50 mile rides on trails??
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yea thats why I purchased them both this time of year, Im not in any hurry to sell one just know im not going to keep them both. May even just piece the one out on ebay eventually. The long rides are mostly tow paths but a few are more mountainous trails will not be much pavement as those I try to save for the cyclecross bike.

mtbr member
    You already own them both, ride them both and in 6 months the answer will be readily apparent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ride them equally both for a month or so ,then don't keep track . Which ever one you ride more then ,keep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Should I put the e100 brain shock on the trek or is the fox shock better? I have them both here didnt know if anyone has used the e100 I bought it for the epic but since it doesnt fit I havent tried it out yet.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Maybe don't buy any more random things before March.

Are we talking a shock or a fork? I had to look it up, and got some hits for a suspension fork called an e100, but didn't see anything about a shock for a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yea it's a brain fork. My job is buying stuff I have fill and empty an entire warehouse multiple times a month. Picked both of these bikes up at sub 500 each didn't plan on it but it happens we have had a dozen bikes come through this month so I'd say I'm lucky I've only kept 3 so far. But yes a specialized fork with a carbon fiber steerer and crown with the brain fade technology.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    id keep the ex9. im not sure if your model is compatible. but i think you could do a 650b conversion on that frame. you would have to check. i've seen it done to an ex5 and your frame looks near identical.

It not the only reason i would keep it though. the full floater pivot system on the trek is pretty awesome. especialy at climbs. Also an out an out race bike like the spez just makes far more sense as a 29er. the ex9 could be a great trail bike with a 140mm or even 150mm fork upfront. the ex9 has 120mm rear travel if im not mistaken.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I gotta say, I'd rather have a Fox fork that everyone and his brother can service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It does have the 120mm rear travel and taking both out recently it does tend to climb better however I would say thats in part to the super wide 26x2.35 tubeless setup running about 20psi in both. The real issue is after looking it over and riding it will need a tune up at least, brakes are only eh on it, and it tends to squat a lot even after setting it up for 220psi in the rear shock and 110 in the fork. Fork is fine I do like the tapered headset and it does have a nice canecreek HS in it. Needs new chain rings, soon derailleur too its been beat up but does still function. All in all would any of the components be better swapped over from the specialized to it since it kinda needs an overhaul anyways? Also they are both 650b capable frames. Should I stick with the 3x9 or is 2x10 really better? The specialized has already been through the LBS and everything it could possibly need has been done to it. Hence my dilemma but when someone brings you in a trek ex9 for 300 bucks you tend to not turn it down. I like them both for different styles of riding and if I could interchange the wheels the tubeless setup is a great climbing tire, sounds like monster truck tires on any paved roads though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Our local bike shop is the authorized specialized dealer and can rebuild the e100 if I need it. Already had it in there to make sure. I havent had much they cant fix so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why do you feel you need to justify keeping both?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Because in the end its company money I am playing with and have to justify its one thing to spend money to make money its another if I spend it to keep something and then dump even more money getting it all done up right. I already did that once this month with the specialized and had no intentions of doing it again or getting another bike this one just kinda fell in my lap so to speak and so its really one has to go so im asking which one and which components should I swap over to which one. Obviously some things cant switch with one having a tapered headset and different bottom brackets I believe they are I havent taken it apart yet but one is bb30 and the other is bb96 if I am correct but feel free to correct me, should I pull the nicer components over to the trek or run with the specialized. I do have more tied up in the specialized but just want the best bike for the next couple years for all around riding be it trails, towpath downhill bike parks and weekend long biking & Camping this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Keep whichever you like best. If you can't decide, flip a coin. Or buy one of them with your own money and you won't have to pick. I'm confused as how you're making money by keeping one bike for yourself, but not making money by keeping two.

And just curious,but what business are you in that people sell you mtn bikes for 1/5th of their value? Are you a fence?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can go tubeless on most any rim ,there are many conversion kits out there ,Stan's is one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    no we buy 100+ pallets of stuff every month and its really not in amazing shape if you could see it up close. I mean its all good structurally but when people need money they will sell it for whatever it also didnt have a seat, post, or rear axle when I bought it. Im saying I already bought the first one on company money and that one the business has already 1300 into it that I will have to pay back in the next month if I want to keep this one I will also have to pay back what we would sell it for which my boss said 900 so one of them has to go back I am not paying to keep them both and they will need to sell one. I can mix and match any components I want but one of them has to go back and be sold. Maybe im the only one who doesnt have 2100 just laying around one month. I did sell off all my other bikes so I can afford one of them but I have both of them at home right now so I can play with them however I want.

mtbr member
    If you have to get rid of one, and you want a more "do all" bike - Keep the Fuel.

My dad had an Epic. Loved the bike, but it was more limited in what it can do, comfortably. He replaced the Epic with a Stumpjumper FSR after he wore it out. He rode my '08 Fuel EX9 last year when his Stumpy was down for service, and thought the Fuel was one sweet handling bike. For him the order was 3) Epic 2)Stumpjumper 1) Fuel for our normal riding. For hardcore fast speed (XC racing and the like) Epic wins. For universal riding/racing, Fuel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Did I miss the size? What size are they?

=Tapatalked on the go=

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    17.5 trek 19" specialized. Got a good trade on the trek possibly this weekend for a fp2 road bike with 400 miles on it and since I don't have one and wouldn't mind doing a century ride this summer I may see if I can swing both this month maybe sell an extra vehicle or something to cover the cost.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For me, 19" would be too big. They're not hugely different sizes, but as you start dialing in your cockpit setup, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them starts to seem too long or too heavy or light on the front wheel.

It sounds like there will always be another deal available to you. Getting bike size right is really important and I think it got easier once I'd nailed it on a bike the first time. So you might wait on the road bike until you've made a decision you're confident in on the mountain bikes. MTB endurance is more fun than a road century anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It is but I do have friends that ride road bikes and I have owned some and test ridden all the ones in the store. My old bike a 2012 hardrock sport 29er was a 21" Frame and was fine, did 200 miles on it before selling it to pay for the redline I ride now. I learned sizing pretty quickly started out on a freek giant recon. ...13.5" put 20 miles or so on it before learning sizing...I just thought everyone's knees hit the handlebars and got a 17.5" ironhorse warrior sport. I have to credit those road bike friends for getting me back into it all and the redline is a great commuter bike but a real road bike would be nice and I've pretty much sized myself on one or two of every kind of bike i could get my hands on in the past year. Anything in a 52-56cm road bike will fit given the right stem/seatpost bars and spacer setup. 17.5 is as small as I would go 19 feels 21 is okay, in a hard tail I had a 21 cannondale rush and it felt a mile too big. Just something about it. Who knows deal may fall through but that's my job to find deals every day that's why I'm sitting out in this wonderful DC weather waiting on a liquidation auction to start at 23 degrees outside.