1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Puncture in tire

SO I got a flat yesterday the stick that I ran over poked a hole in the tire big enough that is about the size of a pen tip or large nail easily visible. My question is how will the tire be effected by the hole. Is it going to be weak there? should I patch the interior? Is it garbage? Or put a tube in and forget about it?
    Thanks
    NOOB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you have damaged too many cords in the casing it's done. It may be possible to patch the inside of a tire with boot, but I wouldn't trust a tire with such a patch. Tires are one of the most important components of a bike and not worth any compromise.

Merendon Junkie
    Patch the tire, it should be ok.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Boot it. Otherwise, the new tube will squish out through the tire and be very vulnerable to future punctures.

The best way I've found to permanently boot a tire is with a radial tire flat repair kit from an auto shop. This is a couple reinforced patches and some adhesive. Glue the patch to the inside of the tire over the hole. Keep an eye on it in future - I've got quite a lot of miles on a tire with one of these patches, but if the hole continues to grow, you'll need a new tire.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

EDR

Re: Puncture in tire

If you want to save yourself a few bucks, just cut a piece of plastic out of an old soda bottle the 2 liter kind. Put it on the inside of the tire and air it up with the tube. Ride it and replace the tire as needed later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply's I think I will attempt the fixes suggested above and buy a new tire for when or if it fails

mtbr member
    I patched the inside of my Maxxis Ardent tire several months ago. It got a huge hole in it from a stick. that tire was set up tubeless and the hole was too big for any amount of sealant to seal it up. it's been holding air with sealant for months after that patch, no problem. I just used a regular generic glued patch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Mack that is exactly what I am gonna do in the morning then hit the trails. This JOB thing gets in the way of my fun

Merendon Junkie

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It should be fine.

Have you tried Stan's NoTubes. It will work even if you have inner tubes

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skewe View Post
    It should be fine.

Have you tried Stan's NoTubes. It will work even if you have inner tubes
    I put a new tube and patched the inside of the tire with a regular glue patch. Rode it pretty hard and it doesn't look like the puncture grew after the ride but it is easily visible and has a small rise from the patch. I have a back up for when it goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Don't worry about the rise. You can get one of those smaller patch kits you get at walmart. it works too