1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Puncture Repair, what am I doing wrong?

So got my second puncture in the three years of had my bike, patched it with a cheap patch kit that came with my multi tool I bought. Checked the inside of the tyre for anything sharp before putting the tube back in. It seemed to work fine, but the next day I got up to a flat tyre again.

Expected it to be my bad patching but it turned it was another whole, this time on the inside of tube and was more stretch/tear like then a hole. Checked the spoke tape was all in place and I can't see anything wrong. Went to LBS to get a new puncture repair kit and they didn't have any standard ones so they gave me a new fangled "cementless" kits costing a whopping $12. The first thing I noticed when I got home was the bike shop had obviously used the kit, leaving me with 6 out of the 9 patches for my whopping $12.

Put them on as per the instructions, pumped up and all seemed fine. I'd left the tyre in the lounge and about an hour later there was a pop then the hiss of air. Took the tube up out an put a bit of air in it and the patches had swelled up like little balloons and popped.

A I doing something wrong or just having terrible luck? Also has anyone used the Lezyne Cementless patches before?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    combination terrible luck and LBS ripped you off. those cementless patch kits cost about $3 online, and a regular rubber cement kit will always work better than those cementless kits if you have the time to put them on properly (ie. not during a race).

I always just get a new tire if the old one actually had a tear. there's somethings a patch can't fix, and I don't want to hassle with it in the future. Also, don't put one patch on top of another patch. I've never gotten them to seal right in the long run.

Based on where the holes are, I'd check 3 things.
    1. damaged rim strip or spokes sticking our or a chunk of metal shaving where the hole is. Luckily, you can just align your tire to the rim via the valve hole and figure out where the leak was caused. Only 2 ways the tube will go.
    2. That you're not pinching the tire with tire levers when installing it. You should be able to instal the tire with your bare hands, and make sure you don't pinch the tube between the tire and rim.
    3. always lign up an easily recognizable part of your tire with the valve hole. I usually go with the manufacturer's emblem or the first letter of a word. This lets you align the tire and tube up after you find where the leak is so you can find a thorn/nail easier. In your case, this isn't applicable because you're hole is on the rim side instead of the tire side.

Edit: Also, if you have two holes on oposite sides of the tube, it's usually a sign of a pinch flat where you were running too low of pressure and hit something.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    That sucks man. I haven't read all of watts post, but I would take the patch kit back and tell them it doesn't work. Your bike is just blowing the patch off the tube. On your way home stop at a retail store, wal-mart, target, advance auto parts, etc. and get a patch kit that takes cement. Check your tire for thorns etc. and try it again. Remove the old patch and clean the area before patching it again. I've used cement patches for years and they work great.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Judging from the picture and the curve of the tube, it looks like the holes are on the rim side of the tube? What kind of rim strip do you have? If it's the cheap, crappy rubber rim strip...take it off, toss it in the trash, and put a good rim strip on. If you're on a budget and have a roll of gorilla tape laying around, it works just as well for a great rim strip.

Aside from that, if the hole is on the tire side of the tube, line up the hole and try to find whatever might be puncturing it. I've had flats before and didn't feel anything on the inside of the tire, but there would be a small piece of glass or a thorn in my tire that would poke through with weight on it.

I always treat patches as a temporary fix, even though a properly patched tube can sometimes last for quite a while. Also, if you're using any kind of tool to put the tire back on, try to avoid doing that at all costs. I know there are some tires out there that can be a nightmare to put on with your bare hands, but the majority of them can be put on without tire levers.

local trails rider
    Patches done the old-fashioned way can last many years (glue/vulcanizing liquid, follow the instructions and take your time) - but most prefer to do the patching at home, after the ride. The first flat of the ride gets the spare tube, and the patches are a back-up.

It does look as if the patches are on the rim side, and near each other. Can you align the tube with the rim and see if anything looks wrong in that area?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Yes. Stick-ons are OK for emergency field repair, but if I use one, I replace it with a proper glue-on patch at a convenient time at home. I have tubes with over 1/2 doz glue on patches that are still fine after years of use.

Always identify and rectify the cause of a flat before repairing the tube and continuing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The holes are on the rim side. I think the patches are just to thin, I've tried going three think and they still bubbled up, think I'll just grab a new tube (not easy when I work night shifts).

The rim stip is green plasticy fibrous sort of thing, and is in place as far as I can tell, run my fingers around it several times and can't feel anything weird.