1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Prowheel Chainrings

Got an '09 entry level mountain bike that I bought new. The crank and chainrings are stock Prowheel 170 28-38-48t. Recently, the off road biking association started updating the trails with the inclusion of 2' high log piles. In the few days that have passed since the update I have noticed a lot of scratch marks from the cranks other riders who use the trails. I want to remove the big chain ring and install a bashguard but I don't know if that can be done on older cranksets. Would swapping the crankset be a better idea?
    2009 Diamondback Outlook

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If the the chain ring is removeble and 104 bc you can put a bash guarb on it..Or you could just remove the ring and put in shorter bolts. There are riders that could clear that without any problem i.e bunny hopping ,wheeling ,manual and some combo of those.