1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

So, I noticed a sign for a yard sale near me today, Went down there, and found this sitting there. It's a Roadmaster Granite Peak. It still had the cardboard in the front wheel, and the owners manual still zip tied to the seat. it would appear it had never been ridden, and everything looked brand new. I asked the couple running the yard sale if it was for sale. They said yes, and that the husband of the couple bought it 3 months ago with the intention of getting in shape, but then had some knee complications that prevented him from riding anymore. Sure, it's an $80 Walmart bike, and I'm not really sure if any components are upgradeable, but I walked away with this bike for $15. Yes, you read that right.. $15.00.... I'll ride it until the wheels fall off for that price.

It's got TD One Torque Drive components, which I've never heard of, but heck, for $15 I'll ride it till it falls apart on me. I prefer a clean look on all my toys. I debadged both my cars, so I figured I needed to do the same to the bike... Gotta get the front frame emblem off, but got all the flashy stickers off..

I've only ridden it down the street.. Tommorow morning I'll take it for a longer ride to see how it does... But for the money, its a BSO, and I'll ride it.

Scott

mtbr member
    Well, it is what it is. Ride it on the street and bring tools.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Well, it is what it is. Ride it on the street and bring tools.

John
    That's the plan.. I have a hard packed dirt road to ride on near my house so worst case scenario I'm walking home 2 miles if i can't fix something. It gets me riding again, and I'm already researching better bikes. I figure I can probably resell it to someone and get my $15 back if needed. If not, for $15 I'll throw it in the dumpster when it breaks.
    "Project Yard Sale" - 2015 Roadmaster Granite Peak 26er. Laugh it up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You have the ride idea,ride it til something breaks or wears out ,then replace it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
    If not, for $15 I'll throw it in the dumpster when it breaks.
    you know, you could save yourself a lot of trouble now and just... never mind. have fun. we all have to learn this lesson somehow.

mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    you know, you could save yourself a lot of trouble now and just... never mind. have fun. we all have to learn this lesson somehow.
    Yeah perhaps I should just throw it away, and not ride at all, and just save my pennies for a $5000 yeti.. :rolleyes

mtbr member
    Great deal and great way of looking at things. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Yeah perhaps I should just throw it away, and not ride at all, and just save my pennies for a $5000 yeti.. :rolleyes
    or buy a reasonable, affordable bike before you injure yourself on that thing. I didn't say you have to buy a $5K bike. my bike is worth much, much less than that and I trust it and have a blast on it. I am just pointing out that a Roadmaster is not going to last you long enough to be worth spending much time on it. after years in the industry and working on junk like that in a bike co-op, I have found that those bikes are never worth the trouble, other than to teach you how to do basic adjustments, get you from A to B if you are desperate and utterly broke, and to teach you the value of a quality bike over junk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Lake jumper!

mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

So, I'm looking at the nashbar AT1. All the reviews I've seen are positive, and the price is more than right. Anyone have thoughts on nashbar?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/mProduc...0053_552005_-1

Scott

mtbr member
    In all honesty, I'd be more inclined to find something on Craigslist. Maybe even eBay if you can pick up locally. There has to be something like an older Rockhopper that is decent that you can find.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Gotta get the front frame emblem off, but got all the flashy stickers off..

Get those damn flashy reflectors off too. That should've and would've been the easier first thing to do. How can you have a stealthy black bike with those things gleaming at you?

But yeah, $15 for a brand new complete bike is pretty good. Ignore the haters. At least you're not trying to stick up for the bike and saying you've got a good trail machine. Ride it til you break something and then sell the frame for $20. Just be wary that you won't be able to clear 10+ ft gaps and 6 ft dropoffs and you'll be fine.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Get those damn flashy reflectors off too. That should've and would've been the easier first thing to do. How can you have a stealthy black bike with those things gleaming at you?

But yeah, $15 for a brand new complete bike is pretty good. Ignore the haters. At least you're not trying to stick up for the bike and saying you've got a good trail machine. Ride it til you break something and then sell the frame for $20. Just be wary that you won't be able to clear 10+ ft gaps and 6 ft dropoffs and you'll be fine.
    Yrah, I know exactly what I have, and make no delusions that is a good bike at all. I do need to get the reflectors off. I was gonna go for a ride this morning, but the weather is not cooperating...

mtbr member
    Finally the weather was decent enough to hit the trail. First real ride chance on the bike. 2.6 miles pretty much flat, but the big performed as expected with no issues so far.

mtbr member
    Went for my first real ride. 2.6 miles along a dirt road/trail. The bike performed as expected, and I learned I'm gonna need to get out more, as this 2.6 miles was tough on my old bones, and I'm not used to any real excersize Had lots of fun, and everything went smoothly. I do need to adjust the brakes, and I installed my Amazon special watter bottle and cage...

Scott

Rod
    mtbr member
    Went for my first real ride. 2.6 miles along a dirt road/trail. The bike performed as expected, and I learned I'm gonna need to get out more, as this 2.6 miles was tough on my old bones, and I'm not used to any real excersize Had lots of fun, and everything went smoothly. I do need to adjust the brakes, and I installed my Amazon special watter bottle and cage...

Scott
    Excellent post and outlook on the bike. For 15 dollars, it will be great to ride up and down the street and that dirt road. I started on a similar bike and it did great for riding around town, but when I took it on my first mountain bike ride, I bent wheels, broke my shifter, etc. within a week.

I'm only telling you this because it appears you will stick with the sport and to let you know many of us have been there. Start saving now for an affordable bike on Craigslist. You can sometime find good bikes for 100 or 150. Again, for 15 dollars, you can't beat that bike. Enjoy your adventures!
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Excellent post and outlook on the bike. For 15 dollars, it will be great to ride up and down the street and that dirt road. I started on a similar bike and it did great for riding around town, but when I took it on my first mountain bike ride, I bent wheels, broke my shifter, etc. within a week.

I'm only telling you this because it appears you will stick with the sport and to let you know many of us have been there. Start saving now for an affordable bike on Craigslist. You can sometime find good bikes for 100 or 150. Again, for 15 dollars, you can't beat that bike. Enjoy your adventures!
    Thanks Rod! The agreement made with the cfo (read wife), is that if I stick with riding for a few months on what I have, I'll buy something nicer after that few months is over. Not sure what my budget is, but I'm thinking around 6-700. I'm looking heavily at the airborne guardian, which is currently out of stock, and the Trek Marlin 7.

Rod
    mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

Thanks Rod! The agreement made with the cfo (read wife), is that if I stick with riding for a few months on what I have, I'll buy something nicer after that few months is over. Not sure what my budget is, but I'm thinking around 6-700. I'm looking heavily at the airborne guardian, which is currently out of stock, and the Trek Marlin 7.
    Sounds like a solid plan. I haven't ridden or seen an Airborn. I'm sure it's a solid bike. Keep your eyes peeled on your local Craigslist too, especially if you live in an active cycling community. You can get a lot of bang for buck if you're patient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Sounds like a solid plan. I haven't ridden or seen an Airborn. I'm sure it's a solid bike. Keep your eyes peeled on your local Craigslist too, especially if you live in an active cycling community. You can get a lot of bang for buck if you're patient.

I am surfing CL with diligence.. I figure I can get a nice used rig for a good price if I keep surfing.. Just gotta have the $$ available when one pops up!

Rod
    mtbr member

Project Yard Sale..

I am surfing CL with diligence.. I figure I can get a nice used rig for a good price if I keep surfing.. Just gotta have the $$ available when one pops up!
    Exactly! I found one of my bikes on CL for 25% of msrp and it was almost in like new condition. I had to drive a few hours one direction. It was well worth it though.