1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

ProFlex 857 - shock question

hey everyone,

i've been riding for some time now, took some time off when we had a kiddo, and now have recently moved next to some amazing trails up here in santa rosa, ca.

i picked up this old ProFlex 857 a few years ago as a sort of daily cruiser around town. but now it's my only mountain bike. i took it to the trails and it handled extremely well. it's heavy, but climbs like a goat.

not my bike, but the same model:

my only question is regarding the shocks. i believe they're noleen, but i cannot figure out if they're old / new / good / worn. how can i test to see if the springs need replacing?

i'd be happy to replace them, or just keep the bike as a town cruiser, if the shocks are bust. i'd rather not breakdown on a trail somewhere.

thanks in advance!

This your bike? http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...5185&Type=bike

I wouldn't worry so much about the spring (unless it's not the right spring for your weight) as much as the condition of the shock otherwise, shock shaft, internals, oil (if it has any), mounting hardware etc. Does the shock have play in the mounts? Is the shaft excessively worn or leaking? Etc..

Have you taken it to a local shop for an opinion? Since Noleen still has the NR-2 on that page, perhaps they could service the shock for you and perhaps provide the proper spring (if you don't already have it), or you could simply replace it if you want to spend that kind of money on an old bike that is out of production.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    fantastic - thanks Bikinfool. that is my bike that you linked.

i do most of my own maintenance, but it could use an overhaul with a pro. i thought that the springs would eventually "crap-out", but mainly ignored the rest of the shock. i'll give it a deeper look and get the bike into a shop for a second opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I ride a 955 and this is what I have done to allow me to run a fox float, you could do something similar.

I know Risse Racing make a shock as well that drops straight in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    very cool, sammydog - not sure if i have the tech ability or the tools for that. what was the mod to get the fox to fit? thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice custom bracket at the bottom of the shop is the modification. I had a mint 95 ProFlex 755 that I sold a few years ago. I actually bought the bike new. However, it had the elastomer suspension, no springs. And only one company is left making them. I replaced them once, but was afraid they would go hard again.

I knew I could make a bracket for the rear, but the front I figured I would need to put a regular fork on it.

I didn't ride for over 3 years, and then decided I wanted to get back into it. Just picked up a 2006 Anthem 3. For less money than I would have spent upgrading my ProFlex. Anyhow, I digress.

Check these guys out first:
    http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co.u...N_position=1:1

They may have a solution for you. And as mentioned above, Noleen can rebuild it. I want to say it's about 100 bucks or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Awesome picture of one of my bikes, in my garage... That I didn't take!

Haha....

I guess one of my buddies secretly fancies my bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    cant you remember when you got all those calls about your stolen bike.

i think it was when I was making all that dust up at your place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Oh.... Was then when you were doing your van.

I remember..... You posted the carbon proflex too and everyone thought that its stolen twin had surfaced....

Happy Days.