1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

problem with riding position

I have noticed lately that I have a tendency to slide to the front of the seat when riding. I also notice how I lean on my hands alot. Is this a seat and handlebar positioning problem, or is it my positioning? I am a very new rider. If it helps in giving my advice, I am 6'2", and weight a little over 150, and I ride a Trek 4300 SL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would start with adjusting the seat. Move the front of the seat up slightly. Also, if you find yourself reaching for the handlebars too much, you can try moving the seat foreward some. Do small adjustments and try it out.

Also, while riding the bike, don't put so much weight on your hands. Try to suspend your upper body with your abs. You want to be able to let go of the handlebars at any time without falling forward onto the handlebars.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    start with seat height, you want your knee slightly bent at 6 o'clock pedal position
    now at 3 o'clock if you hang a line from the front of your knee it should line up with the pedal axle.
    once you have those adjustments adjust the seat angle, try moving the front up a bit (not high enough to do damage )
    while on the bike riding, look at your front axle. if your stem is right you shouldnt be able to see it because your handlebars will block your view.
    if you can see it are your handlebars in front or behind it? if in front you can use a shorter stem & or more rise, if behind longer stem
    if you feel too bent over more rise. too upright less rise
    these are base starting points and you may like it tweaked a bit, but if you start here you should be able to get comfortable.