1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Problem with Fox Float RL

I rode on a gravel bike path today. Nothing extreme at all, although I did practice bunnyhopping a little bit. When I started my ride I flipped the lockout switch from locked to open. When I got home and was cleaning my bike, I noticed that the switch itself is just kind of flopping there. It won't stay in either position. There seems to be a small amount of oil leaking from that area too. Any idea what happened and if it's something I can fix?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have the 2012 model and have had it apart. The lockout knob can come off the shaft and do as you describe. That wouldn't explain the oil however.

To see what you've got, take off the screw in the middle of the rebound adjustment and remove it. Most fork rebuild videos show yet more allen screws holding the lockout knob in place. However, mine has a clip underneath that clips into a groove. On mine, I didn't seat it properly on reassembly so it was just flopping around. Normally you need to gently pry around under it at different points to unclip it.

To reassemble and make sure the clip holds, I placed a piece of wood on the top and tapped with a hammer.

Here is a photo. Note the clip still fastened to the silver part. I had one of the damper assembly already uploaded to MBTR, so am including it.

It's not hard to disassemble. There are videos on YouTube, and feel free to ask me if any questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem with Fox Float RL-fox-rl-lockout-knob.jpg  

Problem with Fox Float RL-fox-float-rl-damper.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Crap, I should have mentioned that I was referring to the shock not the fork. I appreciate the reply Dennis. Sorry to waste your time.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    I don't have an answer, but I wouldn't consider this purely a beginner's problem. Try cross posting this into the suspension forum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    I don't have an answer, but I wouldn't consider this purely a beginner's problem. Try cross posting this into the suspension forum as well.
    Indeed. Although, you may not find an answer. When I pulled my fork and shock apart I ran into an issue where the whole system got locked out when I put it together. I couldn't find any info about what the issue was, but after fiddling with it for a bit, I found that as I was tightening things putting it back together, the lockout knob turned while I was turning a wrench and made the whole thing permanently lock out. I had to back off on some of the settings before tightening it all down to prevent the problem from happening again. I couldn't find anything online about it.

From what I recall having the shock's air chamber apart, I really didn't have any access to the controls internally. You may have to send it out for service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    Crap, I should have mentioned that I was referring to the shock not the fork. I appreciate the reply Dennis. Sorry to waste your time.
    No bother -- I learned something. I didn't even realize that there was a Float RL shock as well Hope you can fix it.

Parking Lot Poser
    there is a very small amount of oil in a rear shock to begin with. Depending on how long you have had the bike/shock it's possible there is no more oil inside. This will only cause more damage and and a more costly repair...(obviously).

There is not a lot that can Be serviced on rear shocks other than the air sleeve. more complex issues generally need to go back for factory service. Judging by the lockout failure and the leak from the lockout I would recommend that you not ride it and send it back to fox.

I'm guessing this is not a new shock, but if it is include your receipt for warranty consideration.

Best of luck
    feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks everyone. It actually is a new shock with fewer than 100 miles on it. I sent it in to Fox for service under warranty.

Looks like a couple of weeks on the old bike...