1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Probably more money than sense, two bikes in two months.

I just ordered my second Motobecane bike in two months. The last one was a Fantom Cross Ti that I added a TRP Parabox "R" hydraulic brake setup and some 7000x28 tires to make into my commuter and put over 800 miles on it last month.

This time I went with the Fantom 29 FS with the XTR group for some off road fun. I never owned an MTB, not counting my 1999 Schwinn Frontier that I pull the kids around town with a trail-a-bike, and never ridden in the dirt so this should be a fun experiment. Can't wait to do some off road riding!

Rogue Exterminator
    If you love bikes and love to ride, and will ride them then it isn't senseless at all.
    In fact I call it a well thought out purchase.

Wish I had the time to do 800 miles in a month but it doesn't stop me from buying bikes.
    In the last 6 months I bought 2 new ones and one used one and I am currently on the prowl for another.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    you are getting your moneys wroth.. 800 miles... might as well sign up for some races.

mtbr member
    I'm actually a runner, not a cyclists, I only ride the bike to cross-train through some injury but in the meantime I started to enjoy it so I'm riding more and more including a daily 30+ mile commute (15+ each way) 3-4 days a week. Who knows I might switch to triathlons once I get some speed in these legs, right now I pretty much suck on the bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got the same cross bike. How do you like the brakes? Made any other changes? Did you get the Rival version?

Rogue Exterminator
    He man, if you are loving it, you are loving it.

Many people spend a lot more money on a bike and and have to wipe the dust off between rides. Some don't even ride it as much in their lifetime as you did in a month.

As you get more in to it, you may even decide you like it more than running.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless View Post
    If got the same cross bike. How do you like the brakes? Made any other changes? Did you get the Rival version?
    I bought the Ultegra group on the Fantom Cross Ti. The brakes are awesome! Now every time I ride my Tri bike with 105 brake calipers and full outer cable to the rear (the stand-off for the cable broke off on the top tube so I had to run full outer to the rear) it feels completely mushy. I actually did a write-up on the bike over at bikeforums: Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti and TRP Parabox first impressions/review.

I also added a Topeak Dynapack DX for my lunch and clothes, bought the Bontrager Interchange Nebual Deluxe fenders (work fantastic and remove easily) added a Philips Saferide 80 and a Cygolite Expilion 700 for the front and two Cygolite Hotshon 2W tails for the rear.

The only issue I had so far in 800+ miles was a creak/tick from what I thought came from the bottom bracket so I rebuilt it with fresh anti seize and lube but it turned out to be coming from the pedal thread as I assembled that in haste with no anti seize. Now it's super quiet and rides extremely smooth. I also had to rotate the front derailleur outward a bit as it was touching the chain in the 11T and 12T with the top chainring as the derailleur was parallel with the chainwheel and not with the chain.

Otherwise it's been smooth sailing. If the FS 29 is as good as the Fantom Cross Ti, I'll be one happy camper!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
    I bought the Ultegra group on the Fantom Cross Ti. The brakes are awesome! Now every time I ride my Tri bike with 105 brake calipers and full outer cable to the rear (the stand-off for the cable broke off on the top tube so I had to run full outer to the rear) it feels completely mushy. I actually did a write-up on the bike over at bikeforums: Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti and TRP Parabox first impressions/review.

I also added a Topeak Dynapack DX for my lunch and clothes, bought the Bontrager Interchange Nebual Deluxe fenders (work fantastic and remove easily) added a Philips Saferide 80 and a Cygolite Expilion 700 for the front and two Cygolite Hotshon 2W tails for the rear.

The only issue I had so far in 800+ miles was a creak/tick from what I thought came from the bottom bracket so I rebuilt it with fresh anti seize and lube but it turned out to be coming from the pedal thread as I assembled that in haste with no anti seize. Now it's super quiet and rides extremely smooth. I also had to rotate the front derailleur outward a bit as it was touching the chain in the 11T and 12T with the top chainring as the derailleur was parallel with the chainwheel and not with the chain.

Otherwise it's been smooth sailing. If the FS 29 is as good as the Fantom Cross Ti, I'll be one happy camper!
    Thanks for the reply. Post up a pic or two when you get a chance. Bikeforums won't let me see them. Mine creaks as well, but I'm pretty sure it is from my Brooks saddle.

I need to pick up a light setup as well. I have extensively looked through the MTBR shootout, but just haven't made a decision yet. I went with an Axiom rack and Ortleib Frontrollers. Just got groceries on it today actually. I also take it onto the mountain bike trails regularly. Don't wait on that new mountain bike to try it. Throw the Kwickers back on at about 50-60 psi and you'll have a blast on the single track.
    Last edited by Sleeveless; 04-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd like to see some pictures!

Picture Unrelated
    Wait, you have a Ti cross bike and you haven't ridden on dirt?

Where's my shaming stick? You need a beating!

But seriously, have fun with your new ride!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Wait, you have a Ti cross bike and you haven't ridden on dirt?
    Well technically it's a Ti frame commuter now... I want to buy a second wheelset for it so I can swap on some CX tires on a whim but instead I just bought a FS 29er for now...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
    Well technically it's a Ti frame commuter now...
    I'm not sure this is redeeming yourself... I'm going to let you go for now because Ti is cool.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

MTB, Road, Commuting

Probably more money than sense, two bikes in two months

I've bought 2 bikes in 2 months before. Recently even. Good job! See how that enabling is going I ride one of them almost every day. Like the others have said, if you ride them you can't feel bad about buying them. I'm up to 7 (Classic steel road, carbon road, touring, commuter, 26" FS, 9er FS & Fatbike) but a nice lightweight cross bike is the one missing from my quiver. The Fantom Cross Ti looks nice. I've tried racing on my Cross Check but it's not really a racer and it takes too long to strip the touring stuff off it...So someday I'll buy #8 and my collection will be complete

Have fun on your new 29er

mtbr member
    The FS 29 came in today and I promptly assembled it. Everything came together smooth and so far it feels and looks awesome. It clocks in at 31 lbs with the Shimano PD-M647 pedals which weigh 552 grams for the pair so the bike is just shy of 30lbs without pedals.

Here are two pics of the two Motobecanes together:

Probably more money than sense, two bikes in two months.-2013-04-02-20.13.57.jpg

Probably more money than sense, two bikes in two months.-2013-04-02-20.15.59.jpg