1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Price for used gary fisher marlin

Hi there. I am new here and am trying to get into mountain biking. I do not have a bike yet but have been searching craigslist in my area for around a month. Recently a 2009 gary fisher marlin genesis 2.0 became available. I believe the bike is in great condition and everything is stock. He listed the bike for 475 and said he would come down to 400. Is that still too much for this bike? Thanks for the help.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Also is this a decent beginners bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In my opinion, that is way too much. Also, even if the seller was reasonable on the price, you need to take someone with you that is knowledgeable about bikes. Just because someone says it is "like new" or "barely used" does not mean it is not a smoldering nub of its former self. For example, the chain may be the original chain and the drive-train may be worn to the point of needing to be replaced....and the bike could look brand new. Just my $.02.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Unfortunately I have already bought the bike. I don't know anyone who knows about bikes so no one was with me to check it out. I did however talk him down to 300. It may have been too much for the bike but at least I have something to ride now. How do you tell if the drive-train is worn?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytonl View Post
    Unfortunately I have already bought the bike. I don't know anyone who knows about bikes so no one was with me to check it out. I did however talk him down to 300. It may have been too much for the bike but at least I have something to ride now. How do you tell if the drive-train is worn?
    $300 is more reasonable.

There are a lot of youtube videos on the subject of bicycle maintenance and will probably be better than an explanation I can write too. You may want to just have it checked out by your local bike shop as drivetrain was just one example. A reputable mechanic giving it a quick once over couldn't hurt............or just ride the fire out of it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I measure the chain for "stretch."
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#stretch
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    my brother in law just bought a brand new 2013 or 2014 at a bike shop for $569... so $475 is way too high considering for less than $100 more you can get a warranty and a free tuneup or two.