1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Price of my new Kona: $884.... Price of upgrades: woof!

I've been out of mtn biking for about two decade. My last bike was a Kona LavaDome that I tweaked a bit. In my visits to the local EMS, my eye caught the Kona Kahuna 29er. That bike drilled itself into my head.

I'd started riding again for health, but found my old ride uncomfortable. The setup made me feel I was on a road bike. Overall I was disheartened. I kept going back to EMS waiting for their big sales, and eventually I got it for 25% off. My test ride was an eye-opener. It really made me see what had been transpiring while I slept like Rip Van Winkle for 20+ odd years!

My addiction to tinkering took over within days of getting the bike.... First thing to go was the shock - replaced that with a Manitou Tower Pro. Then the brakes were upgraded (needlessly perhaps) to Avid 7s.

Test riding it, I found I missed the grip shift setup I had on the old Kona. Just did not like trigger shifters.... Add a set of SRAM XO grip shifters. While I was at it, I got my cheeks measured for a new saddle, since the stock thrilled me not, and odered up a right-sized WTB Pure V SLT.

And I am not quite finished. I odered a x-firm spring kit, as at 200+ the firm in the Tower won't do, and a new set of wheels will actually be the one upgrade along with the shock, that will make a true difference. I think the wheels wil have to wait till tax return time!

I am fastidiously avoiding looking at receipts....

Ultimately, I am really pleased with the Kahuna. Though I could have just bought the 2G model and saved myself some time.... But where's the fun with that!

Looking forward to warm weather!

Cow Clicker
    Congratulations - sounds like you're having fun!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the bike and getting back into the sport and shape. If you are like most of us on here you would have found "necessary" upgrades for the 2g model also. Any pics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iCollector View Post
    Looking forward to warm weather!
    Why wait?

mtbr member
    Sweet!