mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Previous model year discounts

Does anyone know what the average markup on a bike is? With the 2012 in stores now shops are starting to discount leftover 2010s and 2011s and the pricing is all over the place. How does one determine what is a "sale" and what is a "steal"?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
    Does anyone know what the average markup on a bike is? With the 2012 in stores now shops are starting to discount leftover 2010s and 2011s and the pricing is all over the place. How does one determine what is a "sale" and what is a "steal"?
    You're the only one judging it....

But I'd say $800 off a $2 000 is a sale and $1 200 off a $2 000 is a steal... Anything around 30% is sale and over 50% is a steal.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Freshly Fujified

David is dead on

And I'll take it one more, and that since you'll be the one determining what a good deal or a steal is, make sure it's the right bike for your intended purpose. Getting a DH bike at 70% off list may be a steal, but a very smart buy if you're an XC racer.

I'm the consummate bargain hunter, and i picked up a leftover 2009 Fuji Outland Pro for $1100.00. It was spec'd very well, and was perfect for the type of riding I do. I did swap out the shifters and R/D, and my net up-cost was about $50.00. From my perspective, it was not only a steal, but a smart buy.

Don't get too hung up on "original price" so much is what you're paying for what you're getting in the overall bike.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yep, typically a big sale at my shop is 20% off. Oddly bikes aren't marked up as much as many might think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde View Post
    And I'll take it one more, and that since you'll be the one determining what a good deal or a steal is, make sure it's the right bike for your intended purpose. Getting a DH bike at 70% off list may be a steal, but a very smart buy if you're an XC racer.

I'm the consummate bargain hunter, and i picked up a leftover 2009 Fuji Outland Pro for $1100.00. It was spec'd very well, and was perfect for the type of riding I do. I did swap out the shifters and R/D, and my net up-cost was about $50.00. From my perspective, it was not only a steal, but a smart buy.

Don't get too hung up on "original price" so much is what you're paying for what you're getting in the overall bike.
    Good advice! I should have included a little more information in my first post. I have a heavily upgraded 2004 Stumpjumper that I love and recently found a 2008 Stumpjumper carbon frame at a bike shop looking to unload it quick. It would just be a matter of moving all the components from the old frame to the new one. Then have it marked down 20 percent but are willing to entertain offers. I don't want to offend them but I don't want to pay anymore then I have to either

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't expect it to be as simple as you think. Even the same make and model bike will have a few standards change over four years.

That said, offer them about 60% of retail, and see if they take it. At worst, they'll say "no." Up to you to decide how high it's worthwhile for you to go.

Something I'd be a little nervous about is fork compatibility - will the one you have now move over? Do you care? Travel amount a frame is built around changes over time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Local shop here is doing a 10% last year's models and 20% off the two year old bikes...