1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Presta valve tubes on 29er

My new 29er came with Presta valves instead of the old school schrader valves that were on all my older bikes. I understand that they hold air better, but I'm having a hard time getting them filled up with either my bike pump, or my air compressor. I have the small aluminum converter that screws into the pump, but there always seems to be air escaping on both tires, no matter how hard I push it down. So, I can't get an accurate gauge on my tire pressure, and it's driving me crazy. I know this seems like a stupid question, but is there a trick to these valves? I simply unscrew the valve stem, press down my gauge to pump air, and close the valve to clamp onto the valve stem. Am I missing something?

Picture Unrelated
    It's hard to find any pump that works well with an adapter. I would suggest getting a dual function pump head for your bike pump or a presta inflater for your compressor.

Topeak SmartHead Presta and Schrader Upgrade Hose/Head, 38&#3
    Presta Air Compressor Bicycle Inflator, fits both Presta and Schrader - Prestaflator.com
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Disregard. Complete newbie mistake. I threaded the valve adapter into the pump and tried to push down on the valve stem, instead of threading the adapter onto the valve stem and pumping the tire up like a schrader valve. In the process, I might have screwed up my cheap electric pump. Oh well, lesson learned. Bought a floor pump this afternoon anyway.