1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    meh?
    Reputation: Map204's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    565

    Powerwashing Bikes

    I know I'm not supposed to power wash my bike because it forces dirt into bearings. That being the case, why do I see pros' bikes being power washed? Evidence below. You'll recognize that as Steve Peat's world cup bike.

    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

  2. #2
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Because they get free bikes.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Because they get free bikes.
    Ditto

    And even if they didn't they can easily have it ripped apart and everything regreased and repacked.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    544
    The photo is an example of 1% of the mountain-biking population... and probably only 05% of the pros. Peaty, Hill, Gwyn, etc are elite enough to have a van pasted with sponsor-decals, a mechanic who not only (power) washes your bike but wrenches it too and factory-backing to represent, test and - hopefully - podium their product.

    Most of the pros, experts and common schmucks like you and I want our bike and components to last. Wash only if absolutely necessary (using Muc Off, of course) or if you're sponsored well enough to advertise for SC, Enve, Maxxis, etc.

  5. #5
    meh?
    Reputation: Map204's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    565
    In the end, the answer is always "Money."

    I guess if I only had to use the same bike for a few times, I'd power wash the bike too. Or just have someone do it for me.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

  6. #6
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    It's worth more to have pictures of a clean bike and a mechanic making it work well than the alternative.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  7. #7
    meh?
    Reputation: Map204's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    It's worth more to have pictures of a clean bike and a mechanic making it work well than the alternative.
    Well yes, but what I meant by "money" was that I don't have the money to hire someone to keep up my bike for me and buy new parts constantly, and they're sponsored, so they do.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    ...and it's not advisable especially if you have a carbon fiber bike.

    -S

  9. #9
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    In the end, the answer is always "Money."

    I guess if I only had to use the same bike for a few times, I'd power wash the bike too. Or just have someone do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Well yes, but what I meant by "money" was that I don't have the money to hire someone to keep up my bike for me and buy new parts constantly, and they're sponsored, so they do.
    Well really,
    in the end these professionals are constantly risking paying the ultimate price with how they ride. With surgeries and everything else it costs to be that good of a rider, they're probably putting in a lot more of their time (which we all know is money, right?).

    Anyways, many of these guys get free bikes and components, but the pro mountain biker isn't paid nearly as much as the pro football player. The high life of a mountain biker is mostly when we're catching air.



    1,234

  10. #10
    meh?
    Reputation: Map204's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Well really,
    in the end these professionals are constantly risking paying the ultimate price with how they ride. With surgeries and everything else it costs to be that good of a rider, they're probably putting in a lot more of their time (which we all know is money, right?).

    Anyways, many of these guys get free bikes and components, but the pro mountain biker isn't paid nearly as much as the pro football player. The high life of a mountain biker is mostly when we're catching air.



    1,234
    I guess I misspoke about the riders hiring someone to maintain their bike. I kind of assumed it was via the sponsor, not the rider themselves. I knew that very few pro riders get any sort of substantial pay. I guess the next question is regarding medical insurance. Is that something that's covered by the team? I would guess no.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

  11. #11
    check your six
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,446
    Meh... I have been powerwashing my bikes for years, and have never had to replace anything due to the "washing" process. It's obvious that you do not spray directly "in to" any part, however it is just fine spraying "on to" any part. I mean, it's really about using common sense while your doing it. But, to each their own... pedal on...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

  12. #12
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,945
    They don't have the time to baby their bikes really maybe. WC schedule, driving location to location internationally, racing every weekend, getting practice in, setup, and getting familiar with the place. They pick/design their parts carefully too, to stand up to what happens during WC runs, or just carry enough parts as spares as needed.

    I know some consumers expect their parts to last and it's disappointing to see bearings shot in no time, who then pull back the seal to look in and inspect and... maybe it could just be comparatively speaking. Some could compare Mavic hubs to CK hubs and generalize that Mavic hubs spin freely since their sealing is not as good. They could refer to some pic of a bike with CK hubs that was recovered from some rapids and be amazed when they crack it open and see it's in better condition (internally) than what that shop/mechanic has seen from other riders' CK hubs. Maybe people think certain things fail easier, like certain brands/models of BBs or headsets.

    Or maybe one ride through the rain and the next day the guy could have some squeaks. After troubleshooting, and finding parts that should've been sealed are actually the cause of the squeaks, they feel that that if that rain and maybe a few puddles did that, high pressure spray would be worse.

    Or maybe people are just reading their manual and following what it says to not do.

    You can speculate why or why not, reason why others do it, but if you aren't convinced by what anyone else says, you can start power washing for yourself and see for sure.

    IMO, it's not the dirt that's the problem. It's the removal (washing away) of lubrication and riding it without sufficient lubrication that is the problem. If you're gonna relube it meticulously afterwards anyways, and powerwashing can save ya some time (for spending on lubing), and doesn't have any other negative side effects, why not? It's a good test of the seals, one which they expect a few customers would do anyways, and race teams provide very good feedback at the arguably the highest and most demanding level of the sport. Also helps them identify warranty claims that caused damaged resulting from powerwashing.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 11-27-2012 at 04:07 PM.

  13. #13
    Helmetless Crasher
    Reputation: Stumpjumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,070
    You can power wash - with common sense.

    For an über muddy bike, there is almost no other way to get it clean in a quick/easy fashion.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

  14. #14
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,029
    That guy doing the power washing will probably also be rebuilding the fork between runs. The run to run prep that goes into a WCDH bike is absolutely mind blowing. Actually, any pro level riding race prep is insane, those mechs are another level. Just remember: World Cup riding has nothing to do with what the rest of us do; pretty sweet to watch though.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  15. #15
    meh?
    Reputation: Map204's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    That guy doing the power washing will probably also be rebuilding the fork between runs. The run to run prep that goes into a WCDH bike is absolutely mind blowing. Actually, any pro level riding race prep is insane, those mechs are another level. Just remember: World Cup riding has nothing to do with what the rest of us do; pretty sweet to watch though.
    Seriously? Between runs?
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

  16. #16
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Seriously? Between runs?
    Yeah, seriously. Not always, but it's not uncommon.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  17. #17
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,882
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post

    Anyways, many of these guys get free bikes and components, but the pro mountain biker isn't paid nearly as much as the pro football player. The high life of a mountain biker is mostly when we're catching air.
    I dunno, considering the top pros are making six figure incomes, I think cashing those checks is a pretty good high light. Not to mention the free bikes and other kick backs.

    And the women. oh yeah the women.

  18. #18
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Seriously? Between runs?
    DH racing is srsbsns.

  19. #19
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Yeah, seriously. Not always, but it's not uncommon.
    Don't forget the beer too.

    It is pretty cool to see a boxxer rebuilt in just minutes.


    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I dunno, considering the top pros are making six figure incomes, I think cashing those checks is a pretty good high light. Not to mention the free bikes and other kick backs.

    And the women. oh yeah the women.

    It's all playing the percentages. To get that high, they deal with a lot of lows. That's my point. Outside of that, I wouldn't take six figures a year to burn my body.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    544
    This thread is a trip!

    In a World Cup weekend, a pro and his/her bike sees what the "common rider on his/her bike" experiences in about six months. Washing with a power-washer probably equals 3-4 "backyard-washes"; fork-service between practice/quals and semis/mains equals the disciple who services his/her fork bi-annually; "dialing-in" the bike between rides is probably you or I over three rides... and those that spray champagne just earned what "John/Jane Doe" earned over said half-year....

    ...um, yeah, I have absolutely no idea where I'm going with this.

  21. #21
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,698
    If a power washer will take paint off my house, I'm not taking one anywhere near my bike.

    I used a hose with pressure on my bike when I was in college and I ruined my bearings in short order because I didn't repack them with grease and they were low end parts that didn't make much attempt at sealing said bearings. If I had more sense back then, I'd have serviced those bearings and probably kept the bike a little longer.

    But that said, I don't even use a hose with pressure anymore except in super rare cases. Now, water is used for rinsing. If I need to blast some dirt off, I use my air compressor. And even that is rare. Usually, let mud dry and I use a rag and/or nylon brush to get it off.

  22. #22
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,945
    At some locations, they don't use the power washer. I've seen mechanics haul water from a lake with buckets and bring it back to the pits to clean bikes. Good mechanics much prefer working on a clean bike, over a dirty one, and will clean it beforehand. Maybe a pressure washer makes efficient use of a limited water supply... or not. Saves a lot more time maybe. I know some of the mtns they race at are rather remote.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er View Post
    This thread is a trip!

    In a World Cup weekend, a pro and his/her bike sees what the "common rider on his/her bike" experiences in about six months. Washing with a power-washer probably equals 3-4 "backyard-washes"; fork-service between practice/quals and semis/mains equals the disciple who services his/her fork bi-annually; "dialing-in" the bike between rides is probably you or I over three rides... and those that spray champagne just earned what "John/Jane Doe" earned over said half-year....

    ...um, yeah, I have absolutely no idea where I'm going with this.
    I think you are advocating washing our bikes with champagne.... it will increase our skill level and immediately start bringing in the big sponsor checks!

  24. #24
    meh?
    Reputation: Map204's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Don't forget the beer too.

    It is pretty cool to see a boxxer rebuilt in just minutes.
    I've seen those races they do between the mechanics. It's pretty cool. I tried changing the oil, wipers, and seals on my Marzocchi once...took me 3 hours and I bent a valve.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

  25. #25
    meh?
    Reputation: Map204's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by callyer View Post
    I think you are advocating washing our bikes with champagne.... it will increase our skill level and immediately start bringing in the big sponsor checks!
    I'll try it and report back
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •