1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Potential Brake Upgrade?

So I have some not so great Promax Orange brakes on my Cannandale Trail SL4 29er and want to know what a worthwhile brake upgrade would be if it would be worth it at all.

Right now Im looking at the BB7's as a mechanical option for about $90 with levers, calipers, and new rotors, or Shimano Deore as a hydraulic option for about $140 for levers and calipers.

Are either of these options worth it or should I focus my funds elsewhere? Also, which option would you suggest or are there any others in the price range that would serve me better.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The SLX is the major upgrade and will work with many rotors. Basically the same as the XT so anything you read about either in the Brake section will be useful. Very powerful. If your bike has a Suntour fork you could upgrade that for the same price and your need for strong brakes would diminish quite a bit. A RockShox XC 32 is 154 at Bluesky.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've already upgraded the fork to a recon gold. I don't really need anything super, I'm a pretty light xc rider so super stopping power isn't really necessary

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    +1 for Shimano SLX brakes. I installed them in my Epic / 2011 . Very good modulation and very strong breaking !. Faultless too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd still go SLX. They will go with you to your next bike at no future cost.

mtbr member
    xt with icetech rotors if you can spring for em!

mtbr member
    Shimano for sure, all the 2012 stuff is being priced to move online right now as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't really need anything too spectacular, like I said I'm a pretty light XC rider. I also don't really want to spend a ton for brakes on this bike since I'm not sure if its really worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What is the problem with the brakes? Maybe a new set of pads or a bleed would help.Are the promax's mechcanical or hydro's, if they are mech then you could use your levers and save some $ I think you could find a better price on the BB7'S ,have you checked E-bay?

Picture Unrelated
    Those Promax brakes are garbage. Either of the options you have listed would be an improvement. BB7s are solid but take more frequent maintenance (very simple pad adjustments) while the Deore (or upgraded SLX) brakes will self adjust for pad wear but if they need to be bled it is more involved then a cable brake like the BB7s. After three years of very hard use, I finally bled my XT brakes this year; I would recommend learning to do it yourself and doing it once a year even though I haven't done it on my bike.

If I were buying brakes, I would buy the hydros but there isn't anything wrong with buying the best cable brake available.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?