1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Huckin' trails
    Here's one for the cause. Cost me less than $400 to build it up. It's for sale right now minus the wheels, fork, seat post, saddle, chain, rd and pedals.

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336277261.713535.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Post your less than $400 mountain bike

Post your less than $400 bike. It may be stock, used, with upgrades, but it should be less than $400. Thanks for helping newbies entering MTB with a limited budjet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Airborne Skyhawk, $400 exactly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    Nice ride I'm biased to towards hardtails, but David's ride turns my head more

Keep it coming guys. Let's see how far can we realistically stretch our $400 budget towards our passion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Picked this up used for $300 dollars. It's been ridden a lot but still pretty smooth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Future plans?

Quote Originally Posted by LSUDJB13 View Post
    Picked this up used for $300 dollars. It's been ridden a lot but still pretty smooth
    Looks decent enough. What's your future plan upgrades for that ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i gotta do something about those narrow pedals first. Then i just plan to ride it until it explodes.

Novice Rider
    May 2012
    I just purchased either an 04 or 05 Diamondback XSL Comp bike for $170. I believe the rear shock has been swapped out, since it now has a FD tough shock. I've only ridden once so far, but I like it a lot compared to my solid frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deathphoenix99 View Post
    I just purchased either an 04 or 05 Diamondback XSL Comp bike for $170. I believe the rear shock has been swapped out, since it now has a FD tough shock. I've only ridden once so far, but I like it a lot compared to my solid frame.
    It goes to show that a little $$ can get you a pretty long way when you know how to invest. Nice for a sub $200 bike. How much does that weigh?

Huckin' trails
    Here's another one for $350.

'00 GT XCR 3000 in large.

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336325037.172230.jpg
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

banned
    Sep 2011
    325.00 leftover 2006 bought new in 2007, full warranty from *****. yes it is a heavy Diamondback with entry level parts, but it has been, and still is, a great bike, tough and fun. I bought it with intentions of just getting a "bike" to play with like I did when I was younger. Also something to do, bog around on the road and things. Back then I knew nothing about bikes and really just bought because it looked cool and I really liked how it rode and how low the gears could go.

The kid there mentioned it's a good Mountain bike and if I am a trail rider. I said nah, just getting it to ride to the store and stuff. he told me of a good trail system near there so in a few weeks I decided to take the bike there and see what it was all about. My first time out I saw other bikers cruising these paths so I rode down a trail and couldn't believe how smooth and fast my bike went through it all. I really thought it would be bumpy and hard to pedal, but after a mile or so my enthusiasm increased and I ended up spending most of the day back there riding. Loved it and knew then I wanted to do more of it.

So four years later I'm still riding my old DiamondBack......Still works, but would like to upgrade to a lighter bike with better suspension. My ideal would be a 26er Specialized StumpJumper hardtail. That would be plenty of bike for my style and pocketbook.

Until then I continue to ride my sub-400 dollar Diamondback and love every mile of it.

banned
    Sep 2011

Nice machine for 400.

Hydralic brakes too which is weird for 400 bucks. All mid grade stuff, but it's 400 and it's actually good though.

I'm curious to see how much that thing weighs and how it rides...please report.

Looks awesome.

Great bike, probably the best to get at 400, new other than CraigsList or something.

I'm impressed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post
    Nice machine for 400.

Hydralic brakes too which is weird for 400 bucks. All mid grade stuff, but it's 400 and it's actually good though.

I'm curious to see how much that thing weighs and how it rides...please report.

Looks awesome.

Great bike, probably the best to get at 400, new other than CraigsList or something.

I'm impressed.
    Bike weighs approx. 31.8 lb with Wellgo platforms (362 g). This is on a digital bath scale, weighing me holding bike, then without bike. My goal is to get her down to sub 28 lb.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Bike weighs approx. 31.8 lb with Wellgo platforms (362 g). This is on a digital bath scale, weighing me holding bike, then without bike. My goal is to get her down to sub 28 lb.

I'm pushing about 38 pounds I think. Most of that weight is the forks(RST Gillas) they are heavy forks and basically useless as far as shock absorbtion. I can stand on the front end and barely get any compression.

With some good forks it would be lighter and better on the hands. However it would be an over 400 bike then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post
    I'm pushing about 38 pounds I think. Most of that weight is the forks(RST Gillas) they are heavy forks and basically useless as far as shock absorbtion. I can stand on the front end and barely get any compression.

With some good forks it would be lighter and better on the hands. However it would be an over 400 bike then.
    Very true, but thats why we buy the cheap bike, to have some money to replace parts we don't like. You won't find decent forks on bikes for less then a grand. The way I figure it, I can get a Recon gold for just ove three bills and still be ahead of a $1000 bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very true, but thats why we buy the cheap bike, to have some money to replace parts we don't like. You won't find decent forks on bikes for less then a grand. The way I figure it, I can get a Recon gold for just ove three bills and still be ahead of a $1000 bike.
    you can get a new $800 reba x9 equipped 26" bike at bikesdirect. I am not able to buy a cheaper bike and upgrade for that price.

From the pricing I've done, I'm come to the conclusion that to get best bike/$, buy either a
    online bike or a used bike on CL.

Novice Rider
    May 2012
    I'm guessing mine is around 38-40lbs with the mini tool kit on it, that's about 2-3lbs right there. I didn't really buy mine in hopes to get a light bike. This one is a 7005 aluminum frame though. I just really wanted a bike to work out on and stay active, which I can't be happier about.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    deathphoenix, that trail looks awfully familiar. just wanted to make sure you know how to get to the singletrack on the other side of the bayou.

around here, you can buy 26" rockhoppers of recent vintage on craigslist for under $400 all the time. i think that would be the way to go if i wanted a 26er.

my bike was $240.
    but then i broke the freewheel, so i learned how to fix it, and it cost $30 to repair.
    i bent the front wheel, so i learned how to fix it, bought a spoke wrench for 12 bucks and repaired it.
    i bent the rear disk on a massive endo, and repaired it for free with a couple of crescent wrenches.
    i got traces of spray lube on my rear brakes, and destroyed the pads trying to rejuvenate them, so that was 20 bucks for front and rear.
    i broke the rear axle, so i learned to fix that, and it cost $5.
    my bottom bracket was making a noise, i think, and was realllly dragging, so i learned to adjust it, and it is good as new.
    having an inexpensive bike has probably made me feel more at ease working on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-mongoose_dh_3.5_-2.jpgHere is an old Y-frame rig I have been riding for a very long time. Got it for under it for under $400.00 at a box store and it is heavy as hell. I since upgraded to a Specialized Rockhopper (huge difference!). This bike has given me years of pleasure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Now that's priceless!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    deathphoenix, that trail looks awfully familiar. just wanted to make sure you know how to get to the singletrack on the other side of the bayou.

around here, you can buy 26" rockhoppers of recent vintage on craigslist for under $400 all the time. i think that would be the way to go if i wanted a 26er.

my bike was $240.
    but then i broke the freewheel, so i learned how to fix it, and it cost $30 to repair.
    i bent the front wheel, so i learned how to fix it, bought a spoke wrench for 12 bucks and repaired it.
    i bent the rear disk on a massive endo, and repaired it for free with a couple of crescent wrenches.
    i got traces of spray lube on my rear brakes, and destroyed the pads trying to rejuvenate them, so that was 20 bucks for front and rear.
    i broke the rear axle, so i learned to fix that, and it cost $5.
    my bottom bracket was making a noise, i think, and was realllly dragging, so i learned to adjust it, and it is good as new.
    having an inexpensive bike has probably made me feel more at ease working on it.
    Being more intimate with your bike, giving it with much love and attention ( in a mechanical way,i mean ) without the fear of the cost of doing it wrong. You'll gain valuable experience at a reasonable price, and the new skill-set that you'll learn will more likely make you a better person and a sense of accomplishment. Kinda makes me ask myself : "When was the last time I did something for the first time?" It's something money can't really buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I'm the thread starter

Umm.. i was the one who started this thread, but why did DavidC the first to post?

What's "OP" anyway?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vi,rus View Post
    Umm.. i was the one who started this thread, but why did DavidC the first to post?

What's "OP" anyway?
    Original poster, whoever started the thread.

Fat-tired Roadie

Gradations

This thread came up about a year ago.

Post your "cheap bike"! (sub $200)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    My DB overdrive , $260.00 ,only upgrade so far is white Welgo mg1 pedals

the weather is here wish you were beautiful

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by vi,rus View Post

What's "OP" anyway?
    Coz I'm a freaking time traveller.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    This thread came up about a year ago.

Post your "cheap bike"! (sub $200)
    This one got boring. We needed a new one.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast