Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd like to see these bikes and the new price point after a year.
    That's the reality of riding and these purchases. $1500 is more like it. New bars, seat, seatpost, stem, crankset, derailleurs, shifters&cables, brakes/rotors, wheels/tires and fork....and grips. With bad geo on a frame that beats you up.
    For the guys who start with this $750 bike what would it be?
    Diamondback Bikes, 2016 Mason Trail
    Deore m615 brakes. HS1 rotors off ebay, carbon bars, stem, seatpost/seat and grips. Less and a better more capable compliant ride for that year.

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-mountain-bikes-16-mason-trail-sil-profile.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonkey23 View Post
    $250
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29
    Attachment 1079750
    Nice Score! Both of my sons had that exact bike. I sold each of theirs a little over a year ago for $400 each. Only sold them because they outgrew the frame. They both rode the snot out of those bikes, including trips to Mammoth and Northstar. It will serve you well. Have fun!
    '14 Demo 8 II
    '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    '13 Stumpjumper HT Comp
    '13 Roubaix Elite Apex

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Here's mine

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd like to see these bikes and the new price point after a year.
    That's the reality of riding and these purchases. $1500 is more like it. New bars, seat, seatpost, stem, crankset, derailleurs, shifters&cables, brakes/rotors, wheels/tires and fork....and grips. With bad geo on a frame that beats you up.
    For the guys who start with this $750 bike what would it be?
    Diamondback Bikes, 2016 Mason Trail
    Deore m615 brakes. HS1 rotors off ebay, carbon bars, stem, seatpost/seat and grips. Less and a better more capable compliant ride for that year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-bikes-16-mason-trail-sil-profile.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1080425

i like that Mason, sweet deal!

Heres my Giant Talon 29er after a 1+ year of steady, hard riding on New England single track. I picked it up for $320 last year - only ridden once on pavement. I swapped out the XCT fork for a Rockshox Gold ($200), and added Wellgo pedals, and a WTB seat, the rest is stock. It handles everything I throw at it and the new fork has made an immense difference. I'm totally happy with my purchase!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    The very steep headangle of the frame combined with that XCT fork is a deathtrap, make sure to sign your will before going on a ride.
    Re: Venzo Scud - thanks a ton. When i croak, I'll be sure to let you know. Any positive opinions? I've looked around, and i assume i could upgrade the fork. Or just keep my weight aft.

Prof
    Spirit with a vision is a dream ... with a Mission

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I wanna meet you in person and scientifically examine your legs (taking a muscle probe?) if you can ride up the same incline I do with a ~2.5 times harder gear

here's the mountain you can prove your "superhuman strength" like abilities on, it's right out of my window, I barely managed it up with a 38/42 gear last time on my CX rig
    Not everyone has a thing like that in our backyard. It'd be cool if we did. Me, I've got forests and marshes and a max elevation measured in hand-spans. Seriously, we're 10 - 30 feet above sea level and the hills are restricted to the poise angle of sand.

If we want to find an alternate name for "mountain bike" I'm all for it. It is a little weird to call the riding I do "mountain biking" since there isn't a mountain to be found for about 800 miles. But, given the vocabulary we have, the Redline monocog is very much a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Just being goofy...

Do you like what you see?Post your less than 0 mountain bike-20160518_082220_1466621647241__1466623378_98.165.39.180.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Down payments don't count lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolc View Post
    LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolc View Post
    Hehe, I am glad some of you guys have good sense of humor.
    I was expecting bunch of hate messages!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goahead View Post
    Hehe, I am glad some of you guys have good sense of humor.
    I was expecting bunch of hate messages!
    Could only be taken as a joke. No hating, have to have a sense of humor now a days. Now if you said you scored it off a crack head I might have believed you lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ---
    Last edited by goahead; 07-23-2016 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The white and green gt belongs to my dad. The black one leaning on the other side of the post is mine. After he got a chance to ride mine he was hooked and had to have one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    No picture yet, but I just picked up a 1995 Ironhorse ARS 700 for $100 CAD. Bikepedia has it listed as originally costing just under $1000. I'm not too sure if this is a super amazing deal or not, but I'm just getting into the sport and I'm a student with an extremely low budget, so I couldn't pass it up as there was nothing at a better price in my area. Just need to pick up mtb tires for it! I'm so excited to get out and try trail riding for the first time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    post deleted
    Last edited by Highland; 08-17-2016 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Here is my sub $400 bike (if I stop putting upgrades in to it)
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-lmrqcyzh.jpg
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-jyrblpvh.jpg

'08 Jamis Dakar XC with Fox F100 fork (rest was stock except the 3x ring was swapped out for a chain ring guard) $260

Upgrades so far:
    Fork seals $25, Damper rebuild $18 (much o-rings), new shock oil
    new front hub cones $12
    x10 rear cassette CS-HG50 11-36 (taken from my 29" it got a XT M771)
    M615 Shadow plus med cage Rear derailleur $33
    M780 shifters $25

In the mail still
    front and rear XT 785 brakes ($160 new) and a RockShox Monarch RL ($110 new take off from ebay) (which will put me way over $400, but maybe back under if I sell the takes offs)

Soon to come $20 pair of new hoops (w/ hubs cut out) + new trail king tires $$ unknown on that

Planning on keeping the flats on it and using the bike for working skills (manuals, bunny hops and whatnot), I don't know why but my 29" feels like its way bigger then this 26" even though the wheel base and frames are pretty close in size between the two bikes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-lmrqcyzl.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

New member. New rider.

Hello all, I am new to the forums, and new to the sport all together. I'm a new rider from SoCal, I have been lurking for a while but thought i would join and introduce myself. Recently, i picked up this 2014 Jamis Trail X2 on Craigslist. I'm here with an open mind to get ideas, suggestions and to learn, above all.
    cheers guys

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-img_2801.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just picked this up as my first bike. These holding up well? It's in decent shape just curious what goes first on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The older hardrocks hold up very well. The stock shock is awful by today's standards but it's getting hard to find good shocks that have V-brake mounts. I had to settle for a suntour XCR because I couldn't find any air shocks with v-brake mounts. But that XCR is light years better than the stock Gila T4 I had. Other option is to buy a new front rim and mechanical disk brakes then many more forks are available. Hydraulic disk brakes become a major upgrade because you need to buy new shifters as well.

Other than that, grease/replace all of the bearings and check the hubs for pitting. Often you can just buy a new axle and bearing caps for a few $$ if there is pitting. Clean up the drive train and replace what's worn. Clean and lube the mechs and cables and shifters.

I have a 2004 hardrock that I bought for $100. I replaced some of the drivetrain, front forks and cleaned and lubed everything and it rides great. Once I have enough post I'll add pictures of it and my spare bike, another older hardrock. Both are currently under $400 Canadian and far better than anything I can buy new for that price.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678