1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-20120618_233456.jpg
    Here is my Access Raptor my first MB and is OK minus the fork

mtbr member
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344226955.648157.jpg my ironhorse 2.1 my first dip into mtb biking. But its been a blast so far !! My next bike will be a road bike. Ive been working on my endurance. It was listed for 299.99 but i got it for 229.

mtbr member
    It hasn't arrived but I'm so excited I'm posting it here as well, real bike pics as soon as it is assembled.

me going downhill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-450ht_orange_2100.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just got a '96 klein pulse on my local craigs list. the pics that were posted showed the bike as being in good shape, but i was very surprised that when it turned out to be practically mint. The previous owner even had saved the linen bag with all of the paperwork (except bill of sale),and mauals for the shimano parts too. . the tires had been changed for road use, but he saved the original dirt tires too.
    I would like to post some pics, but can't seem to figure out how. Help?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just got back in to riding after a... umm... extended break. Picked this up for $200 off the local Craigslist:

[edit: ok so apparently I don't have enough posts to link a pic. It's an older Trek 4500 Alpha]

I think I overpaid a bit but overall the bike is tuned up and shifting smoothly. The Judy TT is similar to a pogostick, but for $200 all in I can't complain. I remember the last fork I bought before I moved to Texas and quit was over $400 so I understand the low end Judy is what it is.

The rims are both thrashed from riding the brakes, so my first upgrade will be a new wheelset and probably some Avid BB7's if the rear won't be impossible to do. (well, impossible as in cost effective)

My last rig had Avid Tri-align cantis after running in to countless issues with the old XT parallel push mechanisms rattling, so it's funny to see how far technology has come. Back then only the really high dollar bikes had discs, but it was only a matter of time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here's my Genesis 29er. Only upgrade is a wireless speedometer/odometer. Picked this up for $200 new.

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-2012-08-21-10.26.02.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    It hasn't arrived but I'm so excited I'm posting it here as well, real bike pics as soon as it is assembled.

me going downhill
    i've been recommending this bike to everyone i know looking for one. i should get commission lol.. its such a great deal. prob the best deal on their website. 320 bucks gets you pretty much better in all areas than the hardrock, for like half the price. its totally worth every dollar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cool helpful for buying guide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaharider529 View Post
    Here's my Genesis 29er. Only upgrade is a wireless speedometer/odometer. Picked this up for $200 new.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-21 10.26.02.jpg 
Views:	4543 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	718661
    lol.. you still have the receipt? return it and get something that's not a pos. no offense, but that bike is a mistake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i've been recommending this bike to everyone i know looking for one. i should get commission lol.. its such a great deal. prob the best deal on their website. 320 bucks gets you pretty much better in all areas than the hardrock, for like half the price. its totally worth every dollar.
    Thanks ou2mame, I needed those comments - it is getting assembled right now at my LBS and can't wait for the weekend. The fork has me concerned but your positive comments help!

It is a good deal, especially for a starter like me. I'll report the performance once I get it nice and dirty! Thanks again!
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member

Ibex 03 Ignition-2 off CL for $175!

Just got this Ibex 03 Ignition-2 off CL for $175! It's in excellent condition and everything works like new.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Thanks ou2mame, I needed those comments - it is getting assembled right now at my LBS and can't wait for the weekend. The fork has me concerned but your positive comments help!

It is a good deal, especially for a starter like me. I'll report the performance once I get it nice and dirty! Thanks again!
    i always say, ride something cheap that's going to hold up for a bit, and wait for your next purchase to be expensive. by then you'll know what you want and don't want in a bike, but you won't know til you've been riding for a while. when the time comes and you outgrow the fork, you'll be in a better position to make an upgrade because you'll know what you're looking for. just ride it how it is, its a great beginner bike, and for the price, it can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Interesting water rack under the frame? cool bike though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    2012 Raleigh Talus 4.0

I swapped out the 90?mm stem for a 60mm riser. The result has been a more comfortable reach and more responsive steering... very happy! Also mounted the support bar for a WeeRide child bike seat. My 2.5 year old loves riding.

mtbr member

My last post of my new bike..........

Promise.. I put her everywhere I could just very excited to have it ready to roll! $319.00 shipped -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-mybike.jpg  

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-mybike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice bikes. I noticed majority of people purchase them new; guessing one could find a decent used bike for way under $400 on Craigslist nowaday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Importztek View Post
    Nice bikes. I noticed majority of people purchase them new; guessing one could find a decent used bike for way under $400 on Craigslist nowaday.
    No in my area people think their 1990 trek or cannondale hardtail are still worth 500
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yup.

CL has its pitfalls, of course. People generally price high to see what they can get, so you need to know that and negotiate. And you need to know what you're looking at and how to evaluate its condition.

Other good sources of bikes at lower than retail are used bike shops, general used sporting goods shops and pawn shops, and last year's and other clearance models.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Depends upon the area. Some places may have a decent used market but Houston is generally terrible.

Around here, "under $400" will get you either a 15+ year old bike, a "Walmart special", or maybe a 2-6 year old entry level Trek (3500, 3700) that is priced maybe 20-30% below it's original selling price.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So many steals on here...I wish the craigslist here was a bit more active

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Iím right at 400 with this bike:
    Garry Fisher Paragon HT (2000 vintage) purchased at a pawn shop about 4 years ago for $150
    Purchased some parts of e-bay and this is how it sits now: (sorry canít post pics yet)
    -WTB Speed Seat
    -Easton EC90 Seat post
    -Bontrager Super stock Wheelset
    -Sram Chain/Cassett
    -Deore XT rd
    -XTR FD
    -Deore XT hollowtech crankset
    -Avid single digit 7 V-brakes
    -Control tech stem
    -Easton CT2 Carbon straight bar
    -Bianchi Carbon bar ends
    -XTR dual control brake shift levers
    -FSA Headset
    -Rock Shox Jett RS
    Last edited by sgt_g; 09-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaharider529 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-21 10.26.02.jpg 
Views:	4543 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	718661
    Yea I have the Korean equivalent to that bike (paid $100 for it) and well the frame is decent the rest of the bike is junk. oh, and mine has crappy tektro disc brakes. Iím currently redoing it with a bunch of used parts of e-bay so my wife can ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    No in my area people think their 1990 trek or cannondale hardtail are still worth 500
    Same problem here in SE Pennsylvania. Craigslist is full of people who massively over value their bikes.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast