1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    ^ The broken shifter would not bother me, because I'll probably look into converting whatever bike I get into an SS or 3-speed (I have no need for all those gears), but I think that size is too small for me, and the price too high.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    $45 for both shifters x.7
    SRAM X.7 3 x 9 Trigger Shifter Set - AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts

even better, put grip shifts on it for weight saving that cost even less

Get a craiglist app on your smart phone or craigslist notifcatin app on your browser
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/craigslist
    Set search terms "29er" "fox". "Reba". Be patient, I would aim for half off (or less) the sale price (not MSRP) for a 3-4 year old bike.
    Last edited by bob13bob; 05-09-2012 at 01:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    sweet. alright, thanks for the advice. I started a thread to receive advice on this, so any further advice, please post HERE, so we aren't thread jacking this one.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I grabbed this one today. 2008 Specialized rockhopper disc. $300

And tomorrow, I should be picking up a 2007 Specialized hardrock pro disc from a guy who bought it new for his GF, she rode it once and then they broke up, so it's brand new. Still has the barcode/price sticker on the frame from the store he bought it from. asking $325.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

OK, this wasn't free but under $400. Bare Trek ZX 6000 frame single speed.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    '12 Dawes Haymaker 1200. Just got it last week and went out for my first ride Sunday. It's entry level, but I'm happy. Haven't been on a bike since college (10+ years ago). Hands were numb after the ride so I'll have to look at seat and bar height and angle I think, also replace the stock grips with some Oury ones. Brakes squeal something fierce so some adjustment is needed there too.

Not enough posts to put up the image or link, but you know the one from BD.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like a really cool bike

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Here's one for the cause. Cost me less than $400 to build it up. It's for sale right now minus the wheels, fork, seat post, saddle, chain, rd and pedals.

Attachment 694334

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Another really nice looking bike

Huckin' trails
    Thanks. It's nice indeed, but nothing fancy. My new one to replace it is over the top !

A '00 GT XCR 3000 in Medium size. Paid $400 for about a month ago. Didn't ride it since (had something else to finish first). The guy bought it new in 2001 and I don't know why he did since he used it only for pavement and city riding... Hence the street tires and other shizzles. Pretty much everything is stock, even the drivetrain. This frame will see another decade (and more) of enjoyment

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-_dsc6146_web.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My primary geared mtn bike for 10+ years. A KHS Montana Team that I bought in used 1999, I think. Originally a 7 speed, scavenged parts off another KHS bought used, mostly XT, Raceface cranks. Wheels are XT/Rhyno Lite bought locally on eBay.

Discounting the accessories and the chain/pads/cables, I think I have around $350 in it after selling the excess parts. I painted it last year with the green from a camo spray kit. This one hasn't seen any trails in several years, but when it had a computer on it, I'd logged over 8,000 miles.

Last edited by cratz2; 05-16-2012 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Surly 1x1. Paid $260 for it, almost as seen here. Saddle was from a previous bike and I added the pedals and accessories. Still, well under $400.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Other that have come and gone:

$200:

$100 plus saddle/bag/lights/pump:

$40:

$60:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Some incredible scores cratz. Did u find those on cl?

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Couldn't upload a pic before, but this is my 1993 Richter GT 8.0, with Deore XT and XTR components
    $305 on Ebay.
    Last edited by jallison12; 05-16-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: bigger picture

mtbr member
    Kona scrap $320

specialized P2 $250 + some mods still under $400

Another P2, bought it complete for 250 came with a lot of good parts, but sold them all , here is whats left thats painted white

Northrock " the costco Bike" got it for $250 , it was brand new, great bike except crappy fork

08 Ironhorse yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    08 Haro thread 8
    04 Giant simple cruiser

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great bikes - I have the Northrock XC6 too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Darn, that costco bike is $300 in my area

banned
    Jan 2012
    Does this count?
    XTR XT for less than 300 euros, that is what I call a damn steal!
    Bought the bike for 300 euros, BB died.

I bought an box full of mtb/race parts and i found an deore mt60 crank in it, with TA wheels, LBS installed a new BB, left crank arm taper hole busted, putted an NOS 600 arm on it, Swapped the saddle for an Selle SMP, Pedals went from Wellgo WPD801 to Shima PDM505, Fork was upgraded with springs from an old RS Judy XC, later with a one-piece spring from an Suntour XCP75, And today, i filled the shock with oil, Brakes died, went from magura to deore m595s.

Don't try this at home.

2009 Rockhopper I bought it used for $125 with XTR 9 spd drivetrain
    I put white wheels on it $90
    Also added a Marocchi fork for $119
    This bike got crushed between 2 vehicles so now I'm putting all the parts on my son's bike.

2011 Gravity. I bought this bike from a lady that bought it for her son, then decided he wanted a BMX bike. I got it for $125 when it was less than 2mo old.
    Last edited by RobbVII; 05-17-2012 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is an inspiring thread, very cool bikes in here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lov2bike01 View Post
    Great bikes - I have the Northrock XC6 too.
    i loved the XC6 when i had it. solid bike, they did nice job on welding the frame. right now the only thing i have left its a 08 iron horse yakuza frame and a bunch of parts that need to be put together

Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    Darn, that costco bike is $300 in my area

right now the XC6 in costcos is 349.99, it was 299.99 last summer. similar specs. price has gone up. i bought it off a young kid , his dad bought it for him , but he wanted a bmx
    08 Ironhorse yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    08 Haro thread 8
    04 Giant simple cruiser

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Where are all these deals when I'm looking? The only things I've seen on Craigslist and the like are either garbage Next bikes, WalGooses, or stuff that's $2k or more. Still looking for a Rockhopper or the like for $125.

Signed,
    Jealous in Albany, NY

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by JR 137 View Post
    Where are all these deals when I'm looking? The only things I've seen on Craigslist and the like are either garbage Next bikes, WalGooses, or stuff that's $2k or more. Still looking for a Rockhopper or the like for $125.

Signed,
    Jealous in Albany, NY
    You have to be patient. And know what to look for. Most of those deals were poorly advertised, like only "MTB for sale, ride nice, good shape" and a picture. At least that's how it goes in my neck of the wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    2011 Diamondback Response Sport. Bought this for $350 brand new. It was after the 2012s came out. It's an incredible bike and while it doesn't have the best components but it's a great frame to upgrade and for the price you can't beat it.
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-delete3.jpg

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-delete4.jpg
    All I know is......I don't know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    2005 Giant Yukon just picked it up today for 175.
    It looks barley ridden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-photo.jpg  

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast