1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    new
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just picked this up this past weekend for $390.Post your less than 0 mountain bike-000_0007%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    $300 on Craigslist..

mtbr member
    299 on Bikes Direct. GT Aggressor 1.0. Normally 450-500 :}

Just ordered a fork for 130, so I suppose after that it wouldn't meet the requirements per se
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-294956_10150660126008016_502658015_9466883_1079001518_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    nice bike Scott0429

mtbr member
    May 2012
    oh bum, i meant scott0428

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I got a Richter GT 8.0 on ebay a few months ago. for $305
    Still figuring out how to post pics )

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not got enough posts to upload a pic.
    Oh, well, still a great bike for a great price

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?

hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jallison12 View Post
    oh bum, i meant scott0428
    You mean scott0482.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Koppuh Klyde View Post
    You mean scott0482.
    OK reading is not my strong point...nor spelling
    oh bum
    its lovely to be here

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey guys, new here, havent rode a bike in years but wanting to get in shape so i picked up a Giant bike from craigslist because i know to stay away from walmart bikes. The guy put on a RockShox fork but said it needs a seal replaced in it and it causes the lockout to not work???, i have no idea what this means or how to go about getting it fixed. I can still ride it, it just has alot of give on bumps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for no pics of it but i cant post pics until i get 10 posts.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi,

Been trolling awhile, wish i saw this thread before buying my bike! I'd have tried harder to find a nice bike.

I'm not disappointed in my selection though;
    19" full suspension Schwinn T6061 Graft
    Rock shox dart 1
    SRAM X4 rapid fire triggers and derailer
    Suntour aluminum crank
    Front disc brake

Bought new $400, was on sale. I was looking at a similarly equipped Jamis, GT or Specialized. Went to a couple local bike shops and kind of disappointed in their "us vs department store bikes" attitude. I look at the sum of the parts and the construction and make my decision based on that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Disclaimer: This bike was $450...but we all know that you'll drop the extra $50 on something that hits your sweet spot.

2009 Jamis Dakar XC
    Rockshox Tora
    X-fusion glyde rear (so far so good under my light weight)
    Shimano Deore Components
    good stuff at a good price...plus i got to try out fs w/o breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by new View Post
    Just picked this up this past weekend for $390.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0007[1].jpg 
Views:	2768 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	694772
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    Disclaimer: This bike was $450...but we all know that you'll drop the extra $50 on something that hits your sweet spot.

2009 Jamis Dakar XC
    Rockshox Tora
    X-fusion glyde rear (so far so good under my light weight)
    Shimano Deore Components
    good stuff at a good price...plus i got to try out fs w/o breaking the bank.
    These are the best bikes so far! I can't believe $400 could get you so far, if you knew where to find

Huckin' trails
    This Jamis actually sounds pretty sweet for an sub $500 FS bike.

Good fork and the X-Fusion Glyde might be heavy and lack adjustments, but reliable and bomb proof (came stock on my FR bike and still going strong with big hits).

Deore components are alright and should last a decent time before they wear out unless you start banging the bike and break them.

Good call
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Would you guys recommend raleigh, diamondback, or gt for this price point? thanks

Ride More, Whine Less
    Hand built in Wisconsin, light and fast, and money left over for upgrades. (Assuming value is about $100)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bought a 1999 Trek 7000zx for $125 of craigslist.
    Nearly perfect condition, no mods....yet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My 199? Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. Craigslist $150. A pretty good deal. This is one tough mutha of a frame! All original components. Swapped out headset, bars (replaced with an old Crowbar riser), fork (replaced original crappy suspension with rigid), saddle and pedals. Threw on a pair of Panaracer FireXC Pro's and I'm off! Been upgrading as things wear or break, but this thing is gonna live a LONG time, despite my abuse.

My ride of choice on flatlands. It hauls, its tight and "I like to ride rigid!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-hookooekoo3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pick this one up of craigslist 2012 Trek Wahoo for $350

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Free from a coworker!

Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Doesn't count unless available to public , grat to receiving some bike kharma

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

Fat-tired Roadie
    What, rules now?

If I've learned nothing else buying bikes, it's that prices are fluid. My last acquisition was $260. It was used, from a private party, so I don't know if that counts as available to the public. But it's not like I was special, I just saw the ad on Craig's List earlier and got in touch with the seller.

A lot of bikes that cost over a thousand in the nineties are sub-$400 bikes now.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

better than I deserve

traded a old BMX bike $150 value for this 2000 Trek 8000R.Put on a new chain and it rides really nice.The V brakes on this rival my BB7 disc and they never rub on any turns.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Free from a coworker!
    Free?! This guy wins this thread. I'm still shopping, so this thread is awesome. It gives me ideas. Maybe I'll have one to post up soon. I'm looking at a 1997 Pro Flex 857 for sale by a friend of a friend (asking $450), and a 1997/98 (not sure which) Cannondale killer v 900 with upgraded shocks (Judy) and other parts (asking price is $500). I am also very interested in the Marin B17 if I can find one around that price range, or something like that if anyone can point me in the right direction for where to look or give advice (please give advice pertaining to YOUR personal experience with these bikes, not just personal opinion).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatta View Post
    Free?! This guy wins this thread. I'm still shopping, so this thread is awesome. It gives me ideas. Maybe I'll have one to post up soon. I'm looking at a 1997 Pro Flex 857 for sale by a friend of a friend (asking $450), and a 1997/98 (not sure which) Cannondale killer v 900 with upgraded shocks (Judy) and other parts (asking price is $500). I am also very interested in the Marin B17 if I can find one around that price range, or something like that if anyone can point me in the right direction for where to look or give advice (please give advice pertaining to YOUR personal experience with these bikes, not just personal opinion).
    those prices are ridiculous imho. This 2008 fox fork equipped is $700
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-gary.jpg  

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast