1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Best score I ever saw though was a friend of a friend who scored a 2003 NRS Carbon with a Fox F-80 fork, XT/race face build for $45 bucks. It was not stolen. It was a divorce deal.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Best score I ever saw though was a friend of a friend who scored a 2003 NRS Carbon with a Fox F-80 fork, XT/race face build for $45 bucks. It was not stolen. It was a divorce deal.
    Why cant I find a fortune out of someone else misfortune?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    Why cant I find a fortune out of someone else misfortune?
    I know right? Actually from what I heard about this broad the guy is probably better off. He probably just said screw the bike, the house, the money just don't make me look at that woman again.
    Last edited by sandmangts; 12-05-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Such a great thread with a lot of awesome looking bikes for some insane deals! Keeping me motivated to find a great deal on craigslist!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    This one was built by buying bikes on Craigslist, keeping the parts I needed and selling the frames and parts I didn't need. Parts came from a Cannondale 1fg, a nicely upgraded Turner and a Specialized Epic. My total out of pocket expense with one new tire, a chain and some cable housing is about $150. Not bad for a bike with Hope disks, King hubs and headset, Thomson post and stem, easton Monkeybar etc. And is sure rides good. I love a steel hardtail.
    Aaaaaand, we have a winner.

Very nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354983329.755589.jpg

I got this for $100. A neighbour had it in his garage, had a new DH and just wanted to get rid of this. It's a 2003 Rocky Mountain RMX and when I bought it, it needed brakes, pedals, a chain and to unbend the derailleur. Had some pedals but picked up some BB7's for $80 and threw a new saddle on. She's riding great and I've had a ton of fun putting it back together and learning a thing or two. Looking forward to really putting it to the test. New here too, by the way!

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post

brought it used with a few mods. my first real mountain bike ) i also got my rear wheel true today. but is there something wrong if the wheel is spinning when it about to come to a stop it rock back and forth (this is after trueing, less worse than before)
    Whats wrong with the Duet in the background? Borked drum spider?
    Also, nice NRS, they tend to crack at the linkage mounts so check them reguarly for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapperman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354983329.755589.jpg 
Views:	866 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	743426

I got this for $100. A neighbour had it in his garage, had a new DH and just wanted to get rid of this. It's a 2003 Rocky Mountain RMX and when I bought it, it needed brakes, pedals, a chain and to unbend the derailleur. Had some pedals but picked up some BB7's for $80 and threw a new saddle on. She's riding great and I've had a ton of fun putting it back together and learning a thing or two. Looking forward to really putting it to the test. New here too, by the way!
    I hate you . . . . . . . . . . Naaaaa im just kidding very nice find, im jelous, ive been looking for a DH "diamond in the rough" forever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Airborne skyhawk. $350 delivered. $40 buck pedals.
    Love this bike!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-uploadfromtaptalk1355067118368.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-uploadfromtaptalk1355067277574.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have a 2006 Iron Horse Yakuza Bakuto bone stock. It is in mint condition, and has been ridden only a handful of times; I know it's a shame. At the time I purchased it new, it had the top of the line SRAM components, derail-er, no hydraulic brakes. I am selling the bike to a friend who will get a lot of use out of it, and I was wondering what a fair price would be for this bike. Sorry no pictures, but just wanted to get a rough idea of what you guys thought. Thank you in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post
    Nice machine for 400.

Hydralic brakes too which is weird for 400 bucks. All mid grade stuff, but it's 400 and it's actually good though.

I'm curious to see how much that thing weighs and how it rides...please report.

Looks awesome.

Great bike, probably the best to get at 400, new other than CraigsList or something.

I'm impressed.
    you can get a carrera vulcan with hydro disc brakes for even less, i think its like 190

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-dsc01548.jpgCan someone please identify this bike? I got it at a garage sale, my bike mechanic says it's a 1994 Kona. Is he right & which model?

Bike - $65 - Garage Sale: came w/ STX derailleurs. Alivio Hyperdrive-C crank. Deore thumb shifters. Not sure who makes the brake levers or cassette.
    Schwalbe Marathon Tires - $70 - old tires were rotting
    XLC Tube - $10 - Back tire had a patch
    Cannondale Tesoro Saddle - $23 - Pull off from Roy's Bike Shop
    Handlebar - $50 - Scandium, only180g from ebay
    Foam Grips -$10 XXF EVA foam grips 12g/ superlight not including ends
    Kool-Stop - $38 - Cantilever pads were shot, now I stop on a dime trip cmpd.
    Carbon cage - $30 - Gotta have something carbon on this clunker ;P
    Tire valve LED - $5 - Gotta be seen at night
    Total at the time this picture was take = $301 (about 4 months ago)
    Total now with current upgrades = approx. $450-$500

mtbr member
    Bought the bike for $50 at Craigslist four months ago and slowly upgraded some of the parts. Bike was a little in bad shape when I bought it and after cleaning/upgrading here she is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-12871_3344372188530_956972356_n.jpg  

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-189273_3782138772421_1939588521_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    trying 2 get a new bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 973
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  34.7 KB

I bought this Specialized Hardrock in 2004 for $250 and have gotten every bit of my moneys worth out of it. Its been almost 10 years and its still the only bike I own

Disabled Vet
    Did all bikes go over $400 after February? Come on guys,keep em coming
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yeah.. really enjoying this thread. beautiful bikes in here.

Steep on the Cheap
    Here's my 2008 Kona Blast. I <3 it, but it doesn't stop me from beating it up.

Kona Blast - $80 - pawn shop (rusty, crusty, needed lots of work, but frame in great shape)

Serfas Swoop 2.35 front tire - $25 - LBS

Continental Trail King 2.2 rear tire - $15 - Nashbar online clearance sale

Syncros riser bar - $15 - cyclesport.com online clearance (they only sell moto stuff now)

Oval Concepts Stem - $15 - LBS parts bin

Shimano Acera Trigger Shifters - $30 (both) - Amazon.com (came with cheap grip shifters from the pawn shop)

Deore XT Rear Mech and LX front Mech - free - take offs from my old bike (Swapped the decent stuff before selling it off)

Rock Shox Tora 318 U-Turn coil fork - $118 shipped - Ebay

Specialized Phenom 143 saddle - $15 - Craigslist

Gravity Gap Seatpost - $15 - nashbar online clearance

FSA Orbit Headset - $25 - LBS

ODI Rogue Grips - $20 - LBS

Lizard Skin chainstay protector in "IDGAF Pink" - $10 - LBS

Total: $383

The SRAM S600 crankset and bottom bracket cost $75 and are new this week. Had to replace the OEM FSA crankset because I bent a crank arm stuffing it into a rock, lol. I'm not counting that in the cost because I've been riding this beast for the last 6 months, and that counts as a "repair/replace" instead of making it rideable. Also, I want to stay under $400 so it fits in this thread.

The only future upgrades I'd like to do are to change the Hayes Mx4 mechanical brakes to some hydros (they work fine, but need to be adjusted frequently), and perhaps a new wheel-set if the right deal comes along. I'm riding this monster a little rougher than I think it was originally intended (I've gone off 4 foot drops to flat, and I ride with the grace and smoothness of a sandbag) and its held up like a champion.

I'd take this bike over almost any sub-$1000 current production complete hardtail anywhere.

mtbr member
    Bought a Kona scrap DJ bike off local classifieds for 250, had nice components...Then found a guy lookin to trade his dual-suspension for a DJ, traded him straight up for this Specialized Hardrock Uno. Upgraded with Magura Julie brakes, brand new (never ridden) Manitou mach comp 130mm front, FOX Vanilla DL rear, Alex rims, brand new Alivio cranks and bottom bracket, Ritchey stem, All I had to do was get rear rubber (found 2 new continental 2.30s on classified for 25 bucks) threw one on the back, and traded the other to a friend for some nice DMR pedals.

So total cash investment is 275 bucks!!!! Very stoked on this bike, only had it on the trails once this past saturday, held together, and had a blast. Here she is.....

(new pedals and tire not shown btw)

Disabled Vet
    Ordered a shiney new Gravity G29 for $349.95 shipped. While I will be swapping on some nicer parts from a Bandersnatch I sold the frame of (I had also pulled it's drivetrain for the Xtracycle last year,LOL)...there'll be no more than $400 total spent on it,LOL! Pic from BD's website...

When it arrives,I'll post pics of the actual bike (it's a black 17.5" though,so it'll look just like that one :P )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

200$

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This might be cheating, but I feel like I'm getting a bike for about $400.

Before I went to college (the first time...) I bought a 2000 or 2001 K2 ZED SE. The crummy rst fork went out within the first year despite the fact that I can't remember EVER riding it off road. It's been sitting in my garage unused ever sense. I've almost tossed it a couple times, but didn't. Yesterday I did some awesome mountain biking on an old fully rigid stump jumper that is too small. Now I'm hooked. Took the k2 into the local shop and had it looked over. LBS owner told me that it's a decent frame with some potential. Told me for about $400 (might be a bit over) he could replace rear deralier, shifters, brakes, forks and wheels, with quality used parts he has on hand to get it superior to $400 off the shelf bikes. Slept on it and will be bringing in my K2 this morning. I'll try to post before and afters after I get it back

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Post your less than $400 mountain bike

Strolled into the LBS Monday and picked this up on a whim. 2005 Haro Shift R7. fox F80 RL fork, cane creek front wheel, Avid BBDB disc brakes, and Manitou Radium R rear shock. All this for a low price of $150 bucks. Now time for some component purchasing. I don't think I did bad for $150. What do you guys think?

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21365694866.062453.jpgPost your less than 0 mountain bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21365694886.600358.jpgPost your less than 0 mountain bike-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21365694908.812646.jpg

Disabled Vet
    Haven't swapped my wheelset on in these pics,but here's the actual bike with my bars/stem/seatpost/bb7's/Manitou Drake 80mm fork swapped onto it. I'll go out and swap the cog/spacers from the stock wheels to mine (a bit better wheels,they're handbuilt by Buzz29) when I beat this dang headcold,I was just about too sick to stand and shoot these pics,LOL!

Post your less than 0 mountain bike-5.jpg
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-6.jpg
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-9.jpg
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-11.jpg
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-12.jpg
    Post your less than 0 mountain bike-13.jpg

Granted,if I'd bought all the parts I swapped on,even used,just for this bike,it woulda blown the $400 cutoff,but they were all in my stash and $349.99 for the bike (shipped) + $43.52 labor is under $400
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast