1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    the wheel may be true, but the tire may wobble for a variety of reasons. flip your bike over and spin the wheel while watching the RIM. if the rim wobbles more than 1/8", they didn't do anything, probably.

as far as the brakes, go check out the Brakes subforum, and see if your question is answered there. those brakes should work quite well.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Take the tire off and give the wheel a spin. Often, tires aren't perfectly aligned. So you really can't tell if a wheel is true when there's a tire on it.

Also, see if you can rock the wheel laterally. You may feel a little flex, but you shouldn't get any play.

For the brakes, Avid mechanicals need a certain amount of maintenance. Check to see if your pads are worn out before you go further - just pull them out and have a look. There should be a relatively thick chunk of friction material on a metal backing. When the material gets too thin or wears down to the backing, the pad needs to be replaced. If the pads are in good shape, you may just need to tune your brakes better. Use the knobs on the sides of the calipers to adjust the position of the pads. If the brake rotor comes in contact with the caliper and not the brake pad, you get poor performance.

Which brakes, exactly, do you have? BB5s or BB7s?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    andrw swing by brake forum, i dont wnat to clog up this thread, thank you for all the advice

Tree Dodger
    Nov 2012
    Listed on CL for $475, but the guy talked himself down to $350 (craziest thing). He claimed to buy it new and only ride it twice and it looks ever bit the part. I plan on upgrading some parts, so it will soon not fit in the <$400 thread, but at least it started out there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-marlin.jpg  

mtbr member
    Picked up a 2003 Jamis Dakar today, only $200.

I have heard lots of good things about this bike and am excited to start the upgrades. So for I have only replaced the WTB SpeedV saddle with a Retrospec, I removed the LONG 120mm stem and replaced it with a 70mm, and added some Shimano SPD clipless pedals (not pictured) Next are brakes, it already has dics hubs, going to go with Avid BB7's, then on to some wider handlebars, followed by new fork and shock.

mtbr member
    Heres my freebie! 09 (i think) Speccy Hardrock Sport. My friend says he got too fat to ride it - I think he didn't like the colour (i know i don't!)!

Upgrades so far - a new saddle to the one pictured. Future upgrades - paint-job!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your less than 0 mountain bike-20120802_202327.jpg  

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Quote Originally Posted by antpal View Post
    Heres my freebie! 09 (i think) Speccy Hardrock Sport. My friend says he got too fat to ride it - I think he didn't like the colour (i know i don't!)!

Upgrades so far - a new saddle to the one pictured. Future upgrades - paint-job!!!!
    So he rode the bike and got fa......umm, bigger?
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koppuh Klyde View Post
    So he rode the bike and got fa......umm, bigger?
    Think it was more a case of not riding it, then realising that if he did, he'd bend it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My new Motobecane 450HT. $320

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    K2 Zed 3.3, almost brand new for $180. Really good bike so far, took it on a pretty rock filled trail with many large tree roots and had no issues though the brakes could be a little better.

Tree Dodger
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
    K2 Zed 3.3, almost brand new for $180. Really good bike so far, took it on a pretty rock filled trail with many large tree roots and had no issues though the brakes could be a little better.
    I still have an 06 K2 Zed 2.0 that I have ridden VERY HARD! No complaints for a beginner bike for sure!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Picked this up for $375: 2012 Trek Marlin.

Took it out for a little ride and Im happy with it.

Now what to upgrade first! Possibly brakes, pedals and fork

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Visionest, your front disc brake line should be in the front of your shocks and go through a front clip. The line hanging back like that can be dangerous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHeartwoodStudio View Post
    Visionest, your front disc brake line should be in the front of your shocks and go through a front clip. The line hanging back like that can be dangerous.
    Fixed, thanks! I also just adjusted the disc brakes so they don't touch the rotors while riding and did an all around cleanup of the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
    Fixed, thanks! I also just adjusted the disc brakes so they don't touch the rotors while riding and did an all around cleanup of the bike.
    Awesome, looks like a great bike! I'm picking mine up tomorrow sometime, going to take it for a spin if the weather cooperates

NOOB
    Nov 2012
    random post

NOOB
    Nov 2012
    Heres mine i have a little under $400 in it, i bought it here in Korea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowered-S-Dime View Post
    Heres mine i have a little under $400 in it, i bought it here in Korea.
    What's the bike that's outside?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

NOOB
    Nov 2012
    Its my wifes mongoose lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Awesome ride

Steel frame or a alumin frame on the airborne ??

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    Picked up a 2003 Jamis Dakar today, only $200.

I have heard lots of good things about this bike and am excited to start the upgrades. So for I have only replaced the WTB SpeedV saddle with a Retrospec, I removed the LONG 120mm stem and replaced it with a 70mm, and added some Shimano SPD clipless pedals (not pictured) Next are brakes, it already has dics hubs, going to go with Avid BB7's, then on to some wider handlebars, followed by new fork and shock.
    awesome find.....i have been looking for an old school jamis dakar as well..

-J

enV
    don't lose your adventure
    Lots of good finds here, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontamu View Post
    awesome find.....i have been looking for an old school jamis dakar as well..

-J
    This bike is awesome, it is a jack of all trades, master of none, leave the mastering to the rider

mtbr member
    '97 X-Caliber, around $75 in it.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    This one was built by buying bikes on Craigslist, keeping the parts I needed and selling the frames and parts I didn't need. Parts came from a Cannondale 1fg, a nicely upgraded Turner and a Specialized Epic. My total out of pocket expense with one new tire, a chain and some cable housing is about $150. Not bad for a bike with Hope disks, King hubs and headset, Thomson post and stem, easton Monkeybar etc. And is sure rides good. I love a steel hardtail.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast