1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

portable air pumps v Big air c02.

I've noticed in the "what multi tool do you use thread that there is alot of mention of portable air pump . Any big air users out there? Personalti only load myself with hydration pack only (no pockets) and a seat post mount saddle bag with spare tube, multi tool and a co2 canister nothing bulky and want to stay as light as I can. But those portable air pumps look awful tempting.
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Portable pump. Look for a light pump with a hose, as to not damage your valves while pumping. Can be a life saver, and never worry about co2 cartridges

College Boy
    I like the portable pump it always has air. I have stopped on the trail before to help someone out who's co2 canister had leaked on him.

Sent from my rooted Atrix 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I bought a CO2 inflator looking to use something smaller and lighter. I did have an incident where I used all the cartidges I carried (Icarry for my GF and myself). Lucky i had a POS pump as a back-up that could get just enough air in the tire to ride. I now carry a Topeak Road Morph in my pack. I know, road pump for a MTB, but this is the best pump I've used - hose makes attaching it easy and it pumps up a tire pretty fast. I'd be more than happy giving the inflator to someone that would use it well.

T.W.O.
    Co2 is fast and quite reliable but comes at a price of cartridge and how many you carry. There are some combo Co2/mini pumps available.

I carry Co2 and large vol portable pump, Topeak Road Morph because I want to get the job done as soon as possible and minimum effort. Trailside fix of any kind is a b!tch.

mtbr member
    I would want one (air pump) that would securely mount on to the seat post . I ride fsr so mounting one on the top tube isn't gonna happen.
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    CO2 cartridges are quick and easy to use but there are three problems I can think of: once they the cartridge is empty, it's empty, CO2 leaks faster than air through the tube/tire, and if you are running Stan's sealant, supposedly CO2 has negative effects. Basically what I'm saying is CO2 should be used in emergency situations that's pretty much it.

Mini pumps are nice and can pump air as long as your arm can take it, they are small, and inexpensive.

I have both CO2 and mini pump but if you're asking one or the other, I'd recommend the mini pump.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks to all! Helped me make up my mind!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Right now I've been riding without a pump and have been very fortunate not to have needed one. Of course, it's only a matter of time. I was leaning toward Topeak's Mountain Morph (great reviews) but it is 13.8" in length and weighs 250g. That's not that bad if you have a pack but I'm a little concerned about those rides that don't require a pack yet I still may be 10 miles away from car. It looks like Topeak's RaceRocket MT is the perfect pump for me. It has an extendable flexible hose, only 7.7", 114g and pumps a higher volume of air for mountain bikes. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86Tiger View Post
    Right now I've been riding without a pump and have been very fortunate not to have needed one. Of course, it's only a matter of time.
    Yeah, you have definitely been fortunate. I've been doing road riding on the weekends and only carry minimal tools in my jersey pockets (phone, patch kit, CO2 cartridge). I don't do crazy long rides but tend to average a bit over 20 miles per hour while I'm riding. Anyway, I also have had very good luck with not getting flats. I was riding about a week and a half ago when a gun went off and my rear tire was gone. I was five miles away from anywhere, in road shoes, everyone I knew was gone, and I didn't have a tube (but had everything necessary to fix a flat (8 inch tear)). I guess the moral of the story is carry something because there's this guy named Murphy...
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i liek CO2 for how quick and easy it is. i like pumps (seriously love the topeak morph series) for how cheap they are and for multiday excursions, how they can basically replace a floor pump. for racing/riding laps at the local trails i just rock a co2 with a couple cartridges, for longer stuff or places where there's an increased risk or penalty for flats, i roll a topeak road morph (slightly smaller volume, but it has a gauge)
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I have an old Topeak Mountain Morph that keeps going and going, but it's a beast to carry around. Most of the time, I try to leave my Camelback at home so carrying the Topeak is a pain.

I am really interested in the Lezyne pumps right now. very small, well-made from aluminum, has a hose to avoid damaging the valve, not terribly expensive. I am not sure if I should get the small on or the "medium" one, and if I should get the Pressure Drive or the HV Drive one.

mtbr member
    I think I am going to pull the trigger on the lezyne alloy drive (small) at that size I can pack that bad boy anywhere, and heard nothing but good things on lezyne..