1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Point me in the right direction. please?

Hey there this is something I've been wanting to get into forever and now I'm finnally getting.off my ass and doing it. Can someone point me in the right direction of a decent bike preferably on the cheaper side? Things I should get/look out for? Anything is well appreciated

Fat-tired Roadie
    Spend as much as you can stomach. I don't know if your "cheaper" is my "cheaper," but I can tell you that buying my "cheaper" has been a false economy; it would be even worse if I didn't start getting better access to deals before I started really bolting money to my bike.

Spend a day going to local shops and riding as many different bikes as you can. Buy your favorite. Go ride.

Stay away from FS bikes under $1000.

If you're not sure what to buy after riding some bikes, come back here with your short list.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cheaper to me is like 3-400 lol I know that's spreading it pretty thing, but im a broke college kid haha. I went to a shop today and I was looking at a GT AGGRESSOR for like 300. Like I said this is something I pretty much know nothing about.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Get a friend who's into riding bikes to help you look at used. $300-$400 is not much money on a new mountain bike.

If you're riding to campus, something really old, and sub-$200 would be a good choice - you're much more likely to keep it. If you also want to ride trails, make sure it fits you well, stick the fattest tires that fit between the stays on it, and go.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Trek 820 is a good bike for beginners. Also check out the Giant Revel 2 and the Giant Boulder. The Boulder and the 820 have steel frames, but steel tends to be a more comfortable riding material. On the downside, steel frames tend to be heavier. You may also want to take a look at the Motobecane 500 HT from Bikes Direct. The downside is that you won't be able to test ride it....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bought a really nice '08 Felt Q620 off of Craigslist for $250, ready to ride. It is fairly heavy, but the frame is hell for stout, and the components are low end stuff, but get the job done. They are out there, just take your time and watch Craigslist, or local papers, etc. One will eventually show up. If you don't know what to look for, take some one with you who knows more about bikes and ahve them inspect it.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Welcome to the site and the sport. IMO, and think most here would agree, for 3-400 you'd have to buy used to get anything decent for trails. Nothing wrong with used. Even a new bike will hopefully soon be used.
    You'll need a helmet and gloves so when shoping for them try and pick your lbs brain a bit while finding a lbs that you like. You'll be back for something. Considering your budget I'd be more concerned with a decent fit and groupo, and less with weight and looks.
    Lotsa cool people on here so after some research, when you find a bike you like, ask on here to get some feedback on price and performance before you pull the trigger.
    If you're the kinda person who's gonna stick with it, it's always better to get more bike than you think you need so you won't have to go out and get another 1 as your limits grow, or really piss money away on upgrades.
    FWIW, I push my limits, and have just as much fun whether I'm on my 20 y.o. ht, or my new 1.
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-18-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    Round and round we go