1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: pls delete

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

pls delete

Mods -- pls delete. Didn't notice the pinned topic that covers most of my initial questions.
    Last edited by boo radley; 07-02-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: info in sticky

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im somewhat new - have been riding about 9 months.

you need a chain tool to remove the chain. Cleaning and lubing the chain on the bike is my most common maintenance item. I also wipe down the shock and fork to remove dust dirt after every ride After that is cleaning the drivetrain, maybe once a month.

Knowing your pump to get the right pressure every time is very useful

The next most common thing is probably adjusting the drive train when shifting gets messed up. this seems to happen every 5th ride or so. Often times it is a bent derailleur hanger.

As for periodic maintenance, changing wear items like tires and setting up tubeless tires is next most useful.

changing brake pads is something that I had to do in the first month but now I am much easier on my brakes.

Adjusting the location of brake levers/shifters is something I did early on but dont really have to do now.

I check my wheels to make sure they are still tensioned properly. I had to replace a spoke on a used bike that I bought.

I have greased the pivots of my FS bike once
    I have lubed my bottom bracket once
    I have lubed some old shifters once

I check the nuts/bolts of everything every few months or whenever I think about it (stem, handle bar, brake rotors, chain ring bolts, seat pedals, quick releases etc) . They sometimes get loose. My friend rode my bike and he said the front felt loose. Turns out my headset had loosened up.

What could go wrong ...
    There is a sticky at the top of the Beginner's Corner that covers all of this

Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me