1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

PLEASE help me set my riding position!!!

I am 5'4" with a 25" inseam and ride a small frame 06 cannondale f600. My saddle is set as far back as possible but I still feel like I need to scoot further back. As far as fitting, should my knees come up to my elbows? When I keep my elbows tucked my knees even touch at times. I also have lower back pain now that I raised my seat a 1/4 inch (I needed to for reach). Would anyone recomend I get a set-back seat post?

I can send other info if it is needed as well as a photo of my riding pos. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by flankwood
    . As far as fitting, should my knees come up to my elbows? When I keep my elbows tucked my knees even touch at times. I also have lower back pain now that I raised my seat a 1/4 inch (I needed to for reach). Would anyone recomend I get a set-back seat post?
    The first thing I noticed is it sounds like your seat isn't high enough. Your elbows and knees should never touch. When riding your bike you legs should only be curved a little at the bottom of your pedal. If you're not completely comfortable not touching the ground I would lower the seat a little, but not too much. You may also need to adjust your seat forward once you raise it. I hope this helps. Post a picture if you can.

There's no app for this.

Stop and read this

bike sizing article by Sheldon Brown. It covers the whole fit thing for you.

Jim

Here

mtbr member
    May 2006
    People with a long torso and shorter legs, have the problems you describe (me too).

Yes I run a layback seatpost, and a longish stem as well.

Sheldon Brown is avery good starting point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok I have my pics but I don't know how to upload them. How do i do that?

There's no app for this.

just glue it to the screen and then

j/k....

The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the forums should not be used as an extension of your hard disk!

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

Jim

mtbr member
    May 2007

something is not right

With your measurements a small could be a little big, so I can't figure why your knees would hit your elbows. Are you all torso? If so you may need some special sizing. Go to a LBS and ask for some help. You may need a longer stem or shorter crank arms or a combo of the two.

mtbr member
    May 2007

postscript

How do you measure your inseam? It is not to where it just touches the nads but tight to the crotch, like your seat would feel. I have gotten alot of bad advice from some LBS saying you need tons of clearance on a mtb, yea that may be true if you are doing downhill but for the average rider two inches is plenty.

Photog Cyclist.
    flankwood

I would be careful with just pushing the seat back what might be right for one may be bad for another!!!! I would look at the saddle set back form the "knee over pedal spindle" method. What might be happening is your cockpit is too short and since you can't push the handle bars forward you end up pushing your ass back. One down fall of the saddle back too far is that on steep climbs your weight is too far back and the front tire won't track. You still need to try to keep your weight centered on the bike.

If possible find a good shop to go over your position--try shop with a fit system of some type or a shop popular with the roady set--they can be nuts about their position!!!!!

Also do a web search and read all you can--but take it with a grain of salt--there is some good info out there!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!!!
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]