mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Please help find a crankset for me.

I'm very new to the sport, but I'm going in face first, high speed. Unfortunately, I'm breaking things faster than I can learn. I just bought a 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. I'm finding out that it's made of tinfoil, or I'm just really bad at riding. It's seen quite a few miles of rough terrain. I've already had to replace a broken derailluer bracket at 4 months.
    This time....the chain started skipping on me. I took it to the LBS to have it looked at. The guy said I bent the rear deraileur, the chain links were seazed, and I bent the middle crank sprocket. I walked out $50 poorer with a new chain, new X4 deraileur, and he said he rebent the middle sprocket.
    Tried it out last night and it's still doing it. It's also doing it in all 3 front gears, so it can't just be the middle one bent.

All I know is that I have a 7-speed, but not enough knowledge to chose a crankset. Will a new crankset be the fix to my problem? If so, can you recommend one for me that will last more than 8 months?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds like your derailleur hanger is bent....
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    Sounds like your derailleur hanger is bent....
    Shouldn't he have checked that when replacing the derailleur? I've had it replaced before after the first 4 months, so I guess it's "that time". I'm wondering if I should find another store for a second opinion?

I do ALL my own car work because of things like this.

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    Shouldn't he have checked that when replacing the derailleur? I've had it replaced before after the first 4 months, so I guess it's "that time". I'm wondering if I should find another store for a second opinion?

I do ALL my own car work because of things like this.
    Yes, he should have. It's likely between the bent derailer and the frozen links, that's you're still having problems. I'd take it back in and ask the mechanic to check the rear derailer hanger.

You can check for the seized links yourself. Ratchet the crank and look for the chain skipping. If the links are in fact seized, side loading both sides of the chain gently at the seized link by flexing it back and forth a couple of times will mostly likely fix it.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had him put on a new chain and rear deraileur. The chain was too cheap not to go ahead and replace.

Probably drunk right now

That makes a difference...

I had him put on a new chain and rear deraileur. The chain was too cheap not to go ahead and replace.
    Where are you skipping? In back or up front? Depending on how much you ride and how much you maintain your drive train, the new chain could be the problem.

As a drive chain wears out, the cassette and front rings will become worn by the chain. This is sometimes referred to as 'shark toothing'. So long as you keep all the components of the drive train together, you'll generally shift okay. As soon as you replace a component (usually the chain), the entire drive train will run like crap until you replace the component that is shark toothed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think I read about that when readin up on "chain suck". Just didn't think it would wear out so quickly. I bought the bike Christmas Eve and have probably put 3-400 miles on it. 60% road, 40% hard trails.

Oh man, so I may have to buy a crankset AND rear cassette? This is getting expensive fast.

Probably drunk right now

It would help...

I think I read about that when readin up on "chain suck". Just didn't think it would wear out so quickly. I bought the bike Christmas Eve and have probably put 3-400 miles on it. 60% road, 40% hard trails.

Oh man, so I may have to buy a crankset AND rear cassette? This is getting expensive fast.
    We can help you better if you'd answer the questions. Where is the chain skipping? Up front or in back? How often do you lube your chain?

Inspect the teeth on your cassette and on your rings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    We can help you better if you'd answer the questions. Where is the chain skipping? Up front or in back? How often do you lube your chain?

Inspect the teeth on your cassette and on your rings.
    Sorry, I didn't answer because I don't know where the skipping is coming from. IF I were to guess, I'd say the back. I've never oiled the chain myself. The bike got a "tune-up" after 4 months when I took it in for the broken bracket. Now another 4 months has passed. Should I be oiling the parts sooner than that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ugh, 10 posts. I can post pics now.

Here are pics I took a few days ago:

(click for larger image)

Last edited by TXDesertRacer; 09-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    . Should I be oiling the parts sooner than that?
    probably...take a look at the bike maintenance sticky at the top of this forum, it's quite helpful with understanding drivetrain care. Did the seized links not tip you off that the chain might need a bit of lube?

Edited to add: taking proper care of your drivetrain keeps the expenses down by lengthening the life span of your parts...lucky for you, seven (and 8) speed cassettes are quite cheap to replace.

Also check out park tools website for good explanations of bike maintenance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    probably...take a look at the bike maintenance sticky at the top of this forum, it's quite helpful with understanding drivetrain care. Did the seized links not tip you off that the chain might need a bit of lube?
    I didn't know until he showed me. He squeezed the link together and said "see, this link should fall back down when released." It just stayed in the bent position. Otherwise, I would have kept riding it without knowing.

I grew up riding an 88 GT Vertigo. It hasn't seen a bit of maintenance and still rides like a champ 23 yrs later. I'm not used to a bike needing this much attention.
    I'll check out the sticky and start buying maintenance items.

Probably drunk right now

Yes...

Sorry, I didn't answer because I don't know where the skipping is coming from. IF I were to guess, I'd say the back. I've never oiled the chain myself. The bike got a "tune-up" after 4 months when I took it in for the broken bracket. Now another 4 months has passed. Should I be oiling the parts sooner than that?
    You should be at least lubing your chain periodically. I lube my chain every other ride or so. Going 9 months without providing lubrication for metal on metal parts will cause them to wear out quickly. I'd be surprised if your drive train isn't worn down.

Inspect your teeth. If they're pointed/hooked like sharks' teeth, then you likely need to replace them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check my pics. I don't believe they're worn at all.

(click for larger image)

Probably drunk right now

Derailer hanger/derailer...

Ugh, 10 posts. I can post pics now.

Here are pics I took a few days ago:

(click for larger image)

The teeth don't look too bad. I'd go back to the derailer hanger and bent derailer.