1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I appreciate everyone's info here thank you.

A part of me feels I should go platforms due to I'm used to riding bmx bikes just puttin around town, the the other part of me is very used to clipless from cycling side.. but since I haven't done much trail riding or xc on the Mnt bike I guess trial and error need to come into play...

Thanks again for all the info.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I use these:

They're sweet. The color selection is terrible (see: non existent), but I wanted to try out platforms and didn't want to spend a bunch. They were $40. I love them, and I don't have to clip in to ride on the canal or roads around here.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I agree with everything here, except I think if a rider started on clipless he would build his skill over the 6 months and they wouldn't hold him back, but who knows. Very good post.
    Here's my argument for using flat pedals, at least for a while, at least at some point in one's development as a rider. Or rather, here's my "bla bla bla me" illustrative story.

I don't know if there were good flats available for MTB when I started, back in 2000. Probably, it's not like it was the dark ages or something, but I hadn't run into them and my MTB friend was all "clipless" this and "clipless" that. Anyway, platforms with toe clips, while a less sucky pedal than platforms designed to be used with toe clips but with the clips omitted, are a pretty crappy pedal for MTB. All the things people freak out about with clipless pedals? Actually a lot worse with that setup. So I went to clipless pedals fairly early in my development as a rider.

It's really easy to do what I amuse myself calling a "cheater hop" with clipless pedals. Jump straight up in the air, pull your feet up. The bike comes up. Some. The thing about pulling up on the pedals to generate more power, while still bogus and inefficient, is at least possible with clipless pedals. So I learned a cheater hop and rode my bike a lot.

Fast forward a couple of years. I've put down MTB and picked it up again. I've started racing. I've recognized that while my bike handling abilities might play fine when I'm on my own or with other rec. riders, contrary to popular belief, XC racers actually handle bikes pretty well. So I put flats back on my bike and learned to loft my front end better and then to bunny hop from there, without having to pull up on the pedals. It turns out it's more fluid, it's faster - no preload - and it costs less energy. I'm not sure how many other ways I can say "better," but the only thing that's worse about it is that it did take me a little time and application to learn.

I don't regret going clipless early. Like I said, I don't know if I really had a viable choice (although probably) and I made the best decision I could with what I knew at the time, and it's not like I lost the confidence of all those hours of riding. When I learned to bunny hop better, manual better, pedal-up better, etc., that was all stuff I could integrate into my existing riding.

If I could travel back in time to my earlier self, though, I guess I'd do a few things. Take that earlier self some non-sucky platforms and tell him to learn to use them before switching to clipless. Fit that earlier self to my road bike better, give him some fancy insoles, and tell him to back off on the volume increase that messed up our knees. And tell him that getting back together with the girl he'll be seeing when he decides to pick up MTB again is stupid. Go out with her for six months or however long it lasted the first time, and then stay away.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Clipless

They help position your foot better for more efficient peddling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This isn't road biking. On a smooth surface small changes add up to increase your output. Efficiency moves down the priority list as the terrain becomes more rocky and rooty. Once you pickup the skill of keeping your heels low on your pedals clipless isn't a benefit to staying on the bike on bumpy trails and jumps. It is great to be able to get off fast when safety is a concern. It is useful to get your foot down in some curves for stability or for a quick recovery move. Develop the low heels riding skill and you will not change from platforms as your skills progress. your pedals will be gone as an issue.

mtbr member
    For those wanting to hit harder and more technical terrain, I truly think clipless pedals are a detriment. Even with multirelease clips I found myself worried about getting "stuck". I will still use them for the flat XC rides around here but not for the techincal ones. Flats make you a better rider all around IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    For those wanting to hit harder and more technical terrain, I truly think clipless pedals are a detriment. Even with multirelease clips I found myself worried about getting "stuck". I will still use them for the flat XC rides around here but not for the techincal ones. Flats make you a better rider all around IMO.
    I agree with this. I started with clipless but they started to hold me back when I started to do more technical trails. I switched to platforms which let me hit the tough stuff. Im switching back to clipless because the efficiency is definitely better. Also there are some climbs that having that little extra bit of power means clearing vs. not clearing - or at least giving you more margin for error.

Im only 6 months in and run clipless on trails im familiar with, but will ride platforms if it is a new and very technical trail.
    Last edited by goodmojo; 12-11-2012 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm a roadie and clipless is the only way to go...on the road! My first few tries on a mountain bike, I would have certainly tipped over a time or two. I was on platforms thankfully. I certainly agree that had I been clipless I would have been able to power through those tough sections of climbing, but there were a few times that no amount of force would have brought me over those humps. Going less than 5 mph at times I'm not so sure I could have had the awareness to pop out in time before possibly tipping over. I'm a great road biker but its nothing like mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Build some real skills on the flats and then move to clipless if so compelled. I went straight to clipless on my first MTB stint 8yrs ago.Returning now still a beginner i opted for flats...You will be a better rounded rider for it IMHO
    Good flats (I ride HT AE01's) and shoes (510's or tevas) make all the difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Platform pedals..they look cooler. The clipless pedals look kinda of scary to be putting your foot near it.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Two sets of pedals was the best solution for me.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Ok, I've bit my tounge long enough. There is a lot of hyperbole and misinformed opinion (Hoban, not just your post so try not to stress about it) being disguised as actual information here. There's also a lot of one sided opinion being thrown around as fact. As someone who has been riding both types of pedals let me assure two things:

1. If you can ride a bike, you can ride it in any terrain with any pedal.
    2. Pedaling efficiency (at the scale of us rec riders, you're not a pro level sponsored athlete so don't bring them up as examples) does not change depending on what pedal you choose as long as you know how to pedal properly.

Those are myths, get them out of your head. I can ride DH with my clipless (and have) and can ride XC with my flats on my 7" travel bike (I do regularly).

Now for my clipless vs flats notes:
    1. Beginners should always ride [good] flats.
    2. Intermediate riders should try clipless and ride whatever they like best. You should also switch back and forth occasionally so you don't get stagnant in your skills.
    3. Experts will ride whatever they want because they know better than to bicker about which one is the absolute best.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Zeb,

Well said thank you!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    2. Pedaling efficiency (at the scale of us rec riders, you're not a pro level sponsored athlete so don't bring them up as examples) does not change depending on what pedal you choose as long as you know how to pedal properly.
    Was going to +rep you and leave it at that, but MTBR seems to have figured out who I usually +rep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Ok, I've bit my tounge long enough. There is a lot of hyperbole and misinformed opinion (Hoban, not just your post so try not to stress about it) being disguised as actual information here. There's also a lot of one sided opinion being thrown around as fact. As someone who has been riding both types of pedals let me assure two things:

1) maybe theoretically you can, but psychologically *I* have an easier time with flats on technical terrain that Im not sure about.

2) That caveat is the whole point.. You could restate it as "pedaling efficiency is the same as long as you know how to have the same pedaling efficiency". It is much easier for me to generate more power with clipless because I can use both legs simultaneously. I spread out the load to different muscles which reduces the fatigue on my quads. I personally feel a pretty big difference in energy expenditure on climbs. If this means I dont know how to pedal on flats - I can buy that.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Was going to +rep you and leave it at that, but MTBR seems to have figured out who I usually +rep.
    Yeah, I get that message a lot. For example: on your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    1) maybe theoretically you can, but psychologically *I* have an easier time with flats on technical terrain that Im not sure about.

2) That caveat is the whole point.. You could restate it as "pedaling efficiency is the same as long as you know how to have the same pedaling efficiency". It is much easier for me to generate more power with clipless because I can use both legs simultaneously. I spread out the load to different muscles which reduces the fatigue on my quads. I personally feel a pretty big difference in energy expenditure on climbs. If this means I dont know how to pedal on flats - I can buy that.
    Everyone is going to have their own personal experiences and that's absolutely fine. Remember that many beginners or recently graduated beginners post in this forum along side people with many years of experience; this means that some items may start to look like consensus when in reality it's just the bulk of responses someone is getting due to the nature of the beginner forum which is that there are a lot of beginners.

I do, actually, have an easier time in technical terrain on flats. I've been riding flats almost exclusively for the past 3 years and prior to that I spent around 10 years on clipless. I can ride anything on either pedal, I am just far more comfortable mentally on flats when the going gets tough. Which is why I always suggest that beginners ride flat pedals: get comfortable with handling a bike then you can mix in some crazy device that keeps you attached to the bike for some reason.

I'm not sure that your caveat is appropriate. The assumption is always that flat pedals are less efficient but that is not accurate, well at least not accurate at the levels of non-pro riding. The perceived lack of efficiency comes from misunderstanding of proper pedaling stroke and the perception that somehow the mechanical attachment of foot to pedal is somehow much stronger in power transfer. Proper pedaling technique is a wild and debated topic of which there is a lot of information out there. The synopsis is that pulling up on the pedals is not an efficient use of muscle. The mechanical attachment benefit is also overstated, you will gain some efficiency in stiffness and flex reduction, but not enough to make a fuss over.

One of the great things that you learn when riding clipless pedals is smoothing out your pedal stroke (not pulling up on the pedals, don't make me start another rant!) and getting a nice strong pedal stroke on all terrain. When someone says that they can't ride efficiently on flats it says to me that they haven't quite worked out all the kinks in their pedal stroke. In the end, a pedal stroke is literally just moving power from legs to a crank. A mechanical attachment isn't required to pedal a bike but it can make it easier for a lot of people for one reason or another. Pedaling on flats means that you learn to create angles in your feet so you can draw your pedal through the bottom of the stroke and mimic what you would do on clipless; it's all technique and anyone can do it so long as they know it's something you can do. Same as learning to bunny hop on flats, you can't just pull up on the pedals like you would with clipless pedals. You have to learn to pull against the flats so that you can draw the bike up with you (you also have to learn how to jump properly and that it's not just a two wheel straight up motion, but that's yet another story).

There's a lot of ways to ride a bike and they're all better than not riding a bike. Trying clipless should be encouraged for intermediate riders just like all riders who have been riding for a while should be encouraged to ride flats now and again. My original point was simply that if someone thinks they can't do something on one pedal or another then it's their skill deficiency rather than a deficiency of the equipment. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, it just means you have something new to work on if you wanted.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    That was just too long to read lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Rode clipless for the first time today... I was tentative on the down hills but it was all fine. On the up hills it was a big advantage. Not very good at a full circle pedal yet but it was good to pull every once and a while to give my legs a break.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rightguard View Post
    Rode clipless for the first time today... I was tentative on the down hills but it was all fine. On the up hills it was a big advantage. Not very good at a full circle pedal yet but it was good to pull every once and a while to give my legs a break.
    Yup. Once you get used to them you'll see the all round advantage of them. They will force you to be a better rider over time. My first time or 2 I did a few Benny Hills if you know what those are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    depends on the riding your doing but id prefer platforms, a lot of racers will use clips to get a stringer pedal stroke..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for posting pictures.

this is a helpful thread for me too..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Soooo how often do we see a new platforms vs clips thread?

I have been riding flats ever since I started mountain biking (2 years), and im about to ride clip-less for the first time tomorrow morning. I took a couple laps around my neighborhood this evening with the clip-less pedals. A couple things I noticed:

1. They are way too easy to "un-clip" so I do not see how this could discourage anyone.

2. It takes ZERO form to bunny hop. Which is cool for me, bunny hopping is not my strong suit.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How was your ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    That was just too long to read lol

It's a shame b/c it was one of the most informative posts in this thread. There are a lot of long posts on these forums that I don't read either.

In my experience though, Zebraham and Andrew's (among others) are two that I always take the time to read through. Their delivery and attention to detail are second to none.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast